ThinkGeek.com, the number one destination in the galaxy for fascinating products and unique gifts that appeal to the geek community, is hiring a MySQL Database Administrator (DBA) to be responsible for maintaining and designing databases and troubleshooting related database code.
The DBA will work as part of the larger engineering team that produces custom solutions for our internal business units as well as the ThinkGeek.com e-commerce platform. This requires working closely with the Perl development and the technology operations team. Daily duties include system monitoring, database backup/recovery, and performance tuning. You will also participate in designing new database schemas and creation of different types of database objects. You will be responsible for database capacity planning, performance tuning and creation of database maintenance plans.
Education & Experience Requirements
As part of Geeknet, a publicly held company, ThinkGeek employees receive an excellent benefits package while enjoying the benefits of working in an exciting, innovative, flexible, casual, dog-friendly environment in our Fairfax, VA office.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science MIS, CIS, or related field or combination of work experience is required
- Minimum 3+ years of supporting databases using MySQL
- Expert in SQL query language
- Extensive experience with database management/monitoring, clustering, ETL operations, query performance tuning and optimization
- Experience with DB management in a high-transaction, high-availability environment is required.
- Experience supporting customer facing web applications a plus but not required.
- In depth knowledge of MySQL replication management and monitoring is required
- Experience with Percona 5.5, mod_perl, and report creation are all plusses
- Exposure to other RDBMS including MS SQL and Oracle are a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to achieve results within tight deadlines
- MySQL certification is a plus
- Advanced knowledge of MySQL and InnoDB internals
- Assisting Software Engineering team with database related technical issues
- Participating on application development projects, focusing on the transition of projects from Software Engineering to Production Infrastructure by addressing database activities within the software development life-cycle
Geeknet is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or any other class protected by applicable state or federal law.
ThinkGeek - 13 months ago