California Institute of Technology
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Caltech's Tectonics Observatory seeks a part time staff member to maintain and upgrade existing software designed for archiving geodetic data and for monitoring geodetic networks that we have built around the globe. Beyond overseeing the data systems, the position also involves actual data archiving and facilitating data exchange with outside collaborators. Currently, we regularly deal with data from Chile/Peru, Mexico, Nepal, Taiwan, New Zealand, and Japan. Finally, the position will also involve the development of tools to facilitate display and processing of geodetic data and associated products. This is a part-time temporary for 1 year. This position is renewable if funding is available.
- Retrieve, reformat and archive GPS data that comes to Caltech via a variety of mechanisms on a daily basis as well as more sporadic intervals.
- Maintain databases and associated software that track hardware information and data availability information.
- Make information from all these databases easily accessible on the web using existing tools.
- Respond to urgent requests for data access following large earthquakes.
- Develop and maintain regular documentation of all software and archive status.
- Perform all other duties as assigned, including varied technical assignments requiring the use of standard scientific principles, techniques, and process. Exercises discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to significant problems and determining appropriate resolutions. Will be responsible for completing significant project or assignment milestones.
Must be proactive, self-starter with excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, and be able to work with a team, and pay attention to detail. Must be able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously.
Experience with college level math including linear algebra, remote sensing data, and/or earthquake science. The ideal candidate will have experience with Postgres and MySQL, Django, matplotlib (Python), MoinMoin, pip/virtualenv, and Google Maps APO/Google Earth KML. Experience with managing large datasets of complex metadata for GPS stations.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: jobs.caltech.edu
Caltech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
California Institute of Technology - 18 months ago