The Database Architect is a key contributor to stability in this environment and takes a Think Finance business strategy involving one or more lines of business and defines, delivers and extends a database architecture that profitably supports that strategy. The Architect works from a reputation of competence using both authority (in his direct area) and influence (across the organization) to navigate the direction that Think’s systems as a whole take in order to optimally achieve business objectives. Think Finance Architects roll up their sleeves to evaluate vendor systems, develop frameworks and features, write standards, run code reviews and engage in R&D with 3rd parties and other Think Finance groups to ensure that the various structures and processes through which their line of business runs are engineered for integrity, efficiency, scalability and integration. This position reports to the Director of Architecture/ Application Development and will partner with product owners, application architects, DBAs, application developers, and vendors on a regular basis. High attention to detail and drive to deliver excellence in every task are core values of the company and a principal characteristic required of this position.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform database architecture for all technology-enabled capabilities in one or more lines of business.
- Develop solution patterns, Data Flow Diagrams, Data Models, ER Models and architectural specifications for your area(s) and work closely with other teams to implement them successfully.
- Responsible for contributing to and implementing enterprise-class database architectures across the organization.
- Responsible for performance tuning systems to ensure that scalability demands are met.
- Mentors development team members. Proactively helps resolve difficult technical issues.
- Collaboratively create and extend Think Finance enterprise architecture standards.
Experience and Education:
BS in Computer Science, Engineering or a related discipline with advanced degrees preferred.
Proven background with the Microsoft technology platform as an architect and designer of service oriented enterprise applications.
5+ years of Enterprise OLTP Database Architecture experience.
Extensive experience with SQLServer (8+ years tables, triggers, unions, joins, complex queries, stored procedures and XML/SOAP/web services).
Helpful experiences include: Professional experience in Lending or Financial Services, E-Commerce.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Must be a detail-oriented, security-conscious database architect.
- Strong knowledge of SQL Server 2005/2008 administration and optimization.
- Ability to tune poor performing queries.
- Knowledgeable of BCP and SSIS with the ability to troubleshoot either as a stand alone package or as a job.
- Understanding of Best Practices for ETL across the Enterprise.
- Fluency with appropriate tools including SQL Management Studio, Query Analyzer, Profiler, Performance Monitor and other SQL Server management tools as well as the entire Microsoft Office suite.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills are a must; you will be working closely with large inter-departmental teams on a daily basis.
- Comfortable in a fast-pace environment, working across multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must have the desire to work on new, innovative, cutting edge technologies.