Become an integral part of a diverse team that leads the world in Mission, Cyber, and Intelligence Solutions. At ManTech International Corporation, you will help protect our national security while working on innovative projects that offer opportunities for advancement.
The Database Developer works with software and determines ways to organize and store data.
Identify user requirements, set up computer databases, and test and coordinate modifications to the computer database systems.
Ensures the performance of the system, understands the platform on which the database runs, and adds new users to the system.
Plans and coordinates security measures -data integrity, backup systems, and database security. Provides technical assistance to computer system users.
Answers questions or resolve computer problems for clients in person, via telephone or from remote location. May provide assistance concerning the use of computer hardware and software, including printing, installation, word-processing, electronic mail, and operating systems.
Provides technical expertise in the use of Database Management System (DBMS).
Evaluates and recommends available DBMS products to support validated user requirements.
Defines file organization, indexing methods, and security procedures for specific user applications. Manages the development of data base projects.
Plans and budgets staff and data base resources. When necessary, reallocates resources to maximize benefits.
· Perform server and storage capacity management and planning for the most complex and critical systems.
· Recommend and implement process and tool improvements to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization's change management and configuration management processes and systems.
· Plan for transition of the development and/or production environment to new technology.
· Recommend and plan server recapitalization. Perform server performance tuning. Baselines and forecasts server performance data and tunes server hardware and software configurations.
· Utilize system software to monitor the performance of system files; manages system data to maintain performance efficiencies.
· Study system requirements to determine proper server installation methods and procedures. May provide 24x7 operational support.
· Provide technical support in the evaluation of prime object names, data elements, and other objects.
· Evaluate proposed objects and their attributes.
· Ensure that proposed object definitions are clear, concise, technically correct, and that they represent singular concepts.
· Answer users' inquiries regarding computer software and hardware operation to resolve problems.
· Enter commands and observe system functioning to verify correct operations and detect errors.
· Install and perform minor repairs to hardware, software, and peripheral equipment, following design or installation specifications.
· Oversee the daily performance of computer systems.
· Set up equipment for employee use, performing or ensuring proper installation of cable, operating systems, and appropriate software.
· Maintain record of daily data communication transactions, problems and remedial action taken, and installation activities.
· Read trade magazines and technical manuals, or attend conferences and seminars to maintain knowledge of hardware and software.
· Confer with staff, users, and management to establish requirements for new systems or modifications.
· Conduct computer diagnostics to investigate and resolve problems and to provide technical assistance and support.
· Create and maintain monitor definitions and rules based upon requirements from Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
· Monitor and conduct advanced analysis of output and performance of management of systems according to prescribed standards.
· Plan and test capacity requirements.
· Ensure that services are provided with sufficient capacity to meet the business requirements.
· Develop training materials and procedures, or train users in the proper use of hardware or software.
· Refer major hardware or software problems or defective products to vendors or technicians for service.
· Prepare evaluations of software or hardware, and recommend improvements or upgrades.
· Supervise and coordinate workers engaged in problem solving, monitoring, and installing data communication equipment and software.
· Inspect equipment and read order sheets to prepare for delivery to users.
· Modify and customize commercial programs for internal needs.
· Conduct office automation feasibility studies, including workflow analysis, space design, or cost comparison analysis.
· Manage, monitor and administer database system performance and schedule activities.
· Perform optimization and tuning of data loads and extractions.
· Recommend appropriate procedure, query or package changes and optimizations to ensure and improve system performance and reliability.
· Install and configure database environments and associated storage systems.
· Perform backups/restores, and archive data.
Technology used in this occupation
· Archival — Acronis Recovery Expert; Backup and archival software; Systems and data disaster recovery software; VERITAS NetBackup
· Data base management — Database management software; Microsoft SQL Server; Quest Central; Sybase Replication Server, Database models
· Development — C; Microsoft Visual Basic; Prolog; Restructured extended executor REXX
· Metadata — AllFusion ERwin Data Modeler; Data modeling software; IBM Rational Data Architect; Visual Paradigm DB Visual ARCHITECT
· Object or component oriented development — Microsoft Visual C# .NET; Practical extraction and reporting language Perl; Sun Microsystems Java; Sybase PowerBuilder
Education: Requires Bachelors degree or equivalent, and five to seven years of related experience.
Security Requirement: TS/SCI with Polygraph clearance
Requires Bachelors degree or equivalent, and five to seven years of related experience.
Years of Experience