Scope of Position
The Database Developer for EDF Renewable Energy designs and develops the software infrastructure required to support the reliable collection and distribution of the generation asset’s process data and its integration with corporate data systems. They also maintain the databases by qualifying data and keeping the tags, calculations and various tools current. With input from Asset Management and Performance Engineering, he/she is also in charge of developing and maintaining the reporting tools and performance dashboards that represents the data from PI and other various databases. This position will also occasionally present and train others on PI related developments and other database accesses.
Reports to: PI Development Engineer
Division/Department: Information Technology
Location: San Diego, CA
80% of time is spent in the office environment, utilizing computers, servers, peripherals, phones, and general office equipment. 20% of the time is spent traveling to other EDF Renewable Energy, customer and vendor locations for the purpose of project related work and to attend conferences, trade shows, and professional development events. 24x7 support required.
• System Design and Architecture
o Integrate the PI system data collection mechanism in various site architectures
o Maximize the reliability of the data flow
o Standardize the application installation and configuration.
o Assist the SCADA commissioning engineer in the choice and installation of the technical monitoring solutions installed on the generation sites.
o Assist the IT department with onsite hardware and software standards, implementations and configurations.
o Develop system monitoring tools to identify or predict system issues
• Provide PI system Technical expertise in the following ways:
o Provide Level 2 PI support to helpdesk and system integrators.
o Directly support breakdowns within the infrastructure
o Work with the operations and IT team to maintain consistent data collection from generation sites and a guaranteed high data recovery rate
o Work closely with the Performance engineering department to identify generation defect indicators and optimize asset performance.
• Support the relationship with OSIsoft representatives from a project management and technical standpoint.
• Bachelor Degree in Engineering, preferably with a computer/electrical focus or in Computer Science
• 2+ years progressive experience in an industrial IT environment with the following tools:
• Strong experience in OSIsoft PI Systems (PI Server, ACE, PI Clients, AF and Notifications, PI Interfaces etc.)
• Strong knowledge of Industrial communication protocols (OPC, Modbus, IEC 61850/60870, DNP3, etc.)
• Microsoft Windows Server technology and administration, certification is a plus.
• SQL Server integration and administration preferred
• Proficient verbal and written communications skills; able to address business issues and conflicts in a professional, constructive, and non-technical manner; Ability to provide technical training to groups of users; bi-lingual (English/French) a plus.
• Advanced desktop skills required, including Windows and Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, MS Project, Access, Visio and Outlook. Hands on knowledge of information query tools, such as PI DataLink, Power Pivot, SQL Report Builder or other report writing tools, strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of MS SQL and other relational databases preferred
• Knowledge of SharePoint and other Microsoft Web technologies preferred
• Programming skills in Object oriented languages (C++, C#, VB .NET, Java, etc.) a plus
• Experience with vendor software and implementation support required
• Ability to trouble shoot and resolve operational issues in a timely manner
• Skilled at developing and executing test plans, scripts and procedures
• Experience in software program design and development
• Ability to multi-task/prioritize/react in complex environments
• Strong team player
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace
and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.