We are currently looking for a talented Database Programmer to join our publishing systems team within our rapidly growing San Francisco office.
This is an entry level role; the ideal candidate will be a confident and highly organized self-starter with first class communication and problem solving skills. Previous experience working in a fast paced environment is desired. The successful candidate will be responsible for organizing and connecting organization-wide data structures and administering the reporting software. The Database Programmer will increase the reporting capabilities of the organization and facilitate the creation and maintenance of reporting and database infrastructure.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Organize and resource reports to publishing systems administrators as needed.
- Create, improve, and optimize reports, both SQL scripts and through reporting software.
- Create scripts to serve, transform, and use data.
- Migrate reports between reporting systems.
- Script data migrations between business systems, as required by projects.
- Script data storage and sync/update across multiple systems, ensuring data integrity.
- Review, validate, and perform data cleanup as necessary, including running database maintenance and fixes on a regular basis.
- Learn multiple data structures for the many PLOS systems and how to link between them.
- Coordinate data needs from many departments and source systems.
- Documentation creation for migrations, transforms, maintenance tasks, etc.
- Gain a detailed understanding of department workflows to best determine data needs.
- Assist with planning and implementing future infrastructure projects.
Apply now | Return to top
- College graduate preferred.
- 0-2 years related experience.
- Programming experience, preferably in PHP and PERL, with an understanding of Web application development.
- Knowledge of enterprise level reporting software such as Tableu, QlikView, or Cognos.
- Understanding of QA processes to review scripts and implementing on production data sources.
- SQL scripting skills and the ability to function in various relational database technologies, including SQL Server and MySQL and their integration into Web applications.
- Ability to review operational processes and motivate diverse groups through implementation.
- Highly competent communication skills, ability to translate needs of both technical and non-technical employees.
- Previous experience in technical writing and documentation is desired.
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) - 21 months ago