The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is one of the largest behavioral and social science research organizations in the world. AIR is a collaborative organization that works with clients to examine a wide range of projects from early childhood development to adult education as well as individual and organizational performance. AIR prides itself in conducting high-impact, high-stakes projects for significant federal, state, and private organizations. AIR's vision is that research-based problem solving can improve the lives of all people.
The Database Specialist will provide data management and analytical expertise to primarily evaluation-based research projects within the Education Program. The goals of this position are to provide efficient, quality data management products that meet customer needs, provide leadership in building data management systems (e.g. database design, technology selection, analytical support, programming, documentation), promote quality control/assurance methodologies, and prepare and analyze statistical data sets. Delivery of education research data according to client requirements and integrity specifications, project timelines, and budgets are crucial.
This position is based in our Naperville, IL office.
• Define technical requirements and manage delivery of projects through full data management life-cycle processes.
• Develop, implement, maintain and distribute research databases using innovative technologies and automation solutions.
• Independently manipulate and process large volumes of data, both from primary data collection and extant sources.
• Conduct basic to intermediate level statistical analyses using software such as SPSS or SAS.
• Perform responsibilities with minimal guidance by managing project timelines, budgets and quality assurance activities. Play a role in improving the overall technical effectiveness of the data management team.
• Develop and maintain a close relationship with project managers and support staff to drive the data management aspects of project delivery.
• Understand and comply with core standard operating procedures (SOP) and working instructions and meet objectives as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree preferably in management information systems (MIS), computer science, or education-related field with a minimum of 3-year experience in a research analyst role or as a database specialist.
• Minimum 3-5 years database development skills in MS Access 2007-2010 using VBA or macros. MS Access web database development experience is a plus.
• Minimum 1-3 years data analysis experience with emphasis on importing, merging, formatting, and synthesizing research data.
• Required software/programming skills: MS Access/VBA Programming (3-5 years); MS SQL Server (2-3 years); SPSS or SAS (2-3 years); Visual Basic (1-3 years)
• Additional preferred skills: MS SharePoint; InfoPath; HTML; XML; VB.Net
• Previous experience and proven competence in managing delivery of projects through full data management process life-cycle.
• Excellent organizational, communication, and data management skills. Self-motivated, detail oriented and ability to manage multiple priorities is essential.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, managers and clients.
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) lives and breathes to enhance human performance. The not-for-profit organization conducts...