The Teradata Database Systems Programmer III position has technical and systems administration duties for the Teradata relational database management system (RDBMS) software, data, and data spaces in one or more computing environments (e.g., Unix, MVS/Z/OS, Linux). Works independently and leads Teradata projects associated with installing, upgrading, creating and maintaining databases, performance and tuning analysis; capacity planning, workload modeling, and prediction; systems support; long-term strategic planning; application support and optimization; problem resolution tracking; software upgrades. Ensures high-level support for the Teradata RDBMS environment and provides backup DBA responsibilities.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Software and Hardware Upgrades: Plan and execute RDBMS and TTU upgrades. Plan and execute capacity upgrades and technology refreshes. Plan and execute upgrades of Teradata managed servers.
• Performance and tuning analysis: Work closely with operations staff to ensure stable performance for the Teradata RDBMS environment; perform performance monitoring/analysis, identify and resolve bottlenecks resolve problems
• Capacity planning: Provides appropriate hardware/software resources for business applications using the Teradata RDBMS; perform capacity planning, workload modeling, and prediction; provide the business applications with enough resources for their short-term and long-term growth
• Systems support: Ensures the Teradata RDBMS system is maintained at the highest level of support; plan, set procedures, and provide technical supervision; provide reliable and secure system for business applications
• Application support: Ensure client/server applications run successfully and are optimally tuned to maximize use of the Teradata RDBMS system resources while minimizing client impact; assist application developers in problem determination, system and application tuning, and consultation on projects; provide technical consulting and performance analysis skills to the application development groups
• Unix support: Provide high-level support for the MP-RAS Unix and Linux environments; assist in delivering a well tuned stable computing environment
• Problem resolution tracking: Ensure data pertaining to the status of problems and services requests is entered into problem tracking systems accurately and promptly on a daily basis; provide an up-to-date picture of service delivery status and backlog
• Software upgrades and planning: Ensure the Teradata RDBMS environment is updated with current stable versions of software products; maintain currency with operating system and support software; plan and implement major software upgrades; ensure change management procedures and methodologies are implemented and followed
• Develop transaction logging and backup/recovery facilities to maximize recoverability and reduce human intervention and the margin of error
• Participate in defining and implementing data security
• Participate in the evaluation and recommendation of system administration, DBA tools and new DBMS technologies
• Serve as primary customer interface with database vendor(s)
• Recommend and establish technical standards and guidelines for database usage and control
• Work with peers and lead junior team members to develop database connectivity and access standards
• Provides a high level of escalation for systems programmers, DBA’s and application developers in investigating, defining, and correcting application and system performance issues, leading to a stable database environment for Lowe’s business applications.
Teradata Database System Administration. Most Complex Problems:
o Performance and Tuning
o Capacity Planning
o Application Support
o Software & Hardware Upgrade Planning and Execution
• Support off-shore and third party resources in the design and delivery of infrastructure
The various short- and long-term challenges of the Database System Programmer III job are:
• Become familiar with the Lowe’s Teradata infrastructure and support the various Teradata applications and managed servers
• Participate and architect solutions for Customer Analytics and Business Intelligence
FUNCTIONAL GUIDANCE: The Database System Programmer III reports directly to the I&O Design & Delivery Manager. This is a senior level position with tasks being performed with minimal guidance or supervision as needed from manager.
AUTHORITY AND RESPONSIBILITY:
• The Database System Programmer III role has system administration authority and will perform tasks independently with minimal or no guidance or supervision. This is a senior level role.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
6-7 years experience with relevant database technology
Knowledge of mainframe JCL and client/server functions and applications, with knowledge of system and technology alternatives is desirable
Teradata system administration experience or equivalent is desirable along with Teradata DBA experience
A solid, in-depth understanding of database management systems
- Tables, schemata, indexes
- Configuration parameters for performance, security, data integrity, journaling/recovery
- File system concepts and facilities
- Working knowledge of performance monitors and debugger tools
An solid understanding of networking and distributed computing concepts
An solid understanding of the principles of network routing client/server programming; distributed databases
An solid understanding of SQL and programming
Ability to effectively adapt to and apply rapidly changing technology to business needs
Effective interpersonal and communications skills
With minimal assistance as needed from manager, ability to write proposals and technical documents
Ability to solve problems quickly and thoroughly, independently
Ability to establish and maintain a high level of user trust and confidence in IT's knowledge of, and concern for, users' business needs
BS/BA in Computer Science or other IT related discipline.
Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office components and personal
computers (for generating the many reports required by the customer)
• Highly desirable certifications for this position may include the following:
- Any or all Teradata Certifications
Lowe's - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard
No longer a low-profile company, Lowe's Companies has evolved from a regional hardware store operator into a nationwide chain of home...