Job Description Summary
All applications, nominations, confidential inquiries, and questions about the search should be sent to:
Founded in 1919 by financier and entrepreneur Roger Babson, Babson College is based in Wellesley, Massachusetts with satellite campuses in Boston and San Francisco, enrolling more than 2,000 undergraduate and 1,300 graduate students from more than 70 countries. An independent, nonprofit institution, Babson is accredited by the AACSB , the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, and the European Quality Improvement System.
U.S News and World Report includes Babson in its rankings of “Best Undergraduate Business Programs” (#24) and has ranked Babson #1 in Entrepreneurship every year since 1995.
Babson’s mission, to educate entrepreneurial leaders who create great economic and social value everywhere, aligns with the College’s institutional strategy and its commitment to the following:
• Being THE educator, convener, and catalyst for Entrepreneurship of All Kinds™
• Living/Learning Laboratory – Cultivating a close-knit community that lives and learns Entrepreneurial Thought and Action® 24/7 through innovative curricular and co-curricular experiences
• Innovation and experimentation – Creating sustainable, real-world solutions to social, economic, and environmental issues
• Global scope – Convening and advancing an entrepreneurial planet
• Tangible results – Shaping passionate, self-actualized leaders who reshape the world through innovative, value-generating action.
As creators and conveners of knowledge about entrepreneurship, Babson is distinguished by the following:
• An Undergraduate School that provides a top-flight business education, blending an innovative, integrated, and applied business program with a liberal arts education emphasizing competencies, self-reflection, agency, and responsibility; and integrating curricular and co-curricular learning experiences.
• The F.W. Olin Graduate School of Business, which grants highly ranked MBA and MS degrees
• An Executive Education program for professionals looking to grow in today’s rapidly evolving business environment
• A world-class faculty with real-world experience—68% of our full-time faculty hold a doctoral degree or its equivalent, and are accomplished entrepreneurs, executives, scholars, authors, researchers, poets, and artists
• Global research projects that are used as key benchmarking indicators by a number of distinguished regional, national, and supranational authorities around the world
• Babson Global, which works with corporate, university, government, and foundation partners to advance entrepreneurship education and Entrepreneurial Thought and Action® worldwide.
Babson’s vision statement encapsulates its action-oriented culture:
We want to be the preeminent institution in the world for Entrepreneurial Thought and Action®—and known for it. We want to expand the notion of entrepreneurship to embrace and celebrate entrepreneurs of all kinds. We want to put the power of entrepreneurship as a force for economic and social value creation in as many hands in the world as we can.
The Undergraduate School
Babson offers a Bachelor of Science degree to future leaders looking for a world-class education in business and the liberal arts.
The academic program, with its emphasis on hands-on experiential learning is designed for students who want to study business and learn about the world around them. Babson shapes the leaders the world needs most: those who can envision and navigate change, understand global perspectives, and motivate teams in a common purpose to create economic and social value. The focus on Entrepreneurial Thought and Action® enables students to discover their strengths, pursue their passions, and create their own path to success.
The undergraduate program at Babson is widely recognized, not only for what is taught but for all aspects of the college experience. Some academic-related ratings include the following:
• “A+” for teaching quality by Bloomberg BusinessWeek
• Named one of the “Ten Business Schools that Should Be On Your Radar” and “the country’s most prominent institution devoted entirely to business” by the Fiske Guide to Colleges 2011
• Among Bloomberg BusinessWeek specialty rankings, Babson had nine Top 20 finishes – #1 in Entrepreneurship, #10 in Sustainability, #10 in Microeconomics, #10 in Marketing Management, #11 in Macroeconomics, #11 in Financial Management, #14 in Corporate Strategy, #17 in International Business, and #20 in Accounting
• Leadership award from the Pew Charitable Trusts for taking “bold steps to reshape undergraduate programs”
• Theodore Hesburgh award for the College’s “Reinvention of the Undergraduate Business Education”
• Ranked #1 graduation rate among “Highly Competitive” U.S. colleges by The American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research.
Applications, nominations, confidential inquiries, and questions about the search should be sent to:
email@example.com. Applications not submitted to the email address provided above will not be considered.
The Dean is responsible for the academic leadership of the undergraduate school, including definition of the vision and direction for the College’s undergraduate portfolio. He/she is responsible for creating and maintaining an environment supporting academic excellence for students and ensuring collaborative and effective relationships among all those who work in and with the undergraduate school. In addition, he/she is expected to enhance the School’s image and forge strategic partnerships within the campus community and with public, private, and international organizations.
• Serves as policy and strategy leader for the undergraduate school and works collaboratively with other members of the President’s Cabinet to achieve the College’s goals within a framework of shared governance.
• Partners with the management and liberal arts faculty to provide curriculum leadership, recognizing the current state with an in-depth understanding of future goals and potential. Fosters high levels of faculty engagement and leadership with curriculum development.
• Serves as co-chair of Undergraduate Academic Policy Committee and as a focal point for gathering and disseminating information on new curriculum developments, in addition to initiating curriculum reviews.
• Shapes an innovative, educational model that fosters relations between a professional and liberal education and integrates curricular and co-curricular experiences.
• Commits to fostering a student-centered learning environment, developing global and multicultural awareness, and promoting and supporting diversity and student inclusion.
• Oversees Career Services, providing direction for supporting students’ career development and job placement.
• Provides direction in the budget planning process and oversight in the management of the undergraduate school’s finances.
• Convenes the Undergraduate Cabinet, which brings together directors from all the areas working directly with undergraduate students to create a vehicle for sharing and collaboration focused on integrating all aspects of the undergraduate experience.
• Collaborates with institutional research to lead the assessment and evaluation of learning outcomes.
• Partners with the Dean of Faculty and Academic Council in coordinating efforts regarding faculty recruiting, faculty development, and faculty performance evaluation systems.
• Collaborates with students, faculty, staff, alumni, and other stakeholders to enhance and build external relationships, external image.
The Dean reports to the Provost of Babson College. Reporting to the Dean are: the Assistant Dean of Academic Planning and Strategy, the Director of Undergraduate Academic Services, the Director of the Undergraduate Center for Career Development, the Director of Undergraduate School Marketing, and an Administrative Assistant.
The successful candidate will possess a doctoral degree from an accredited institution and will satisfy the eligibility for appointment of tenured professor in one of the academic divisions within the College.
Additional Required Skills & Abilities
Additionally, the ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
• Successful academic/administrative experience
• An outstanding history as an accomplished teacher and leader with scholarly achievement
• Leadership capability and ability to effectively translate plans into tangible, achievable goals
• Program management expertise
• Superb ability to communicate, including strong oral, written, and presentation skills
• Excellent interpersonal, collaboration, team management, and negotiation skills
• Financial skills, including the ability to interpret and integrate financial decisions with strategic planning to ensure maximum organizational efficiency.
Babson College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Babson College - 20 months ago