1. Exercise primary program and personnel leadership of the department.
2. Make recommendations regarding faculty retention, promotion, and tenure.
3. Lead search committees and make hiring recommendations to the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs.
4. Supervise support staff and ensure that duties correspond to job descriptions.
5. Conduct employee evaluations in accordance with college policies, procedures and bargaining unit agreements.
6. Organize, develop, supervise, coordinate, and evaluate instructional programs.
7. Initiate and assist with grants development.
8. Ensure that class schedules, office hours, and student advising schedules reflect a student-centered environment.
9. Provide efficient department management, including equipment and facilities.
10. Encourage innovation in the application of instructional technology.
11. Develop annual budget and planning documents.
12. Assist with student recruitment.
13. Perform other assignments as requested by the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs (M.E.).
B. Financial Accountability
1. Prepare, in consultation with department faculty, the operating budget and a cost effective plan for the school that will be expressed through the appropriate planning documents.
2. Administer the department budget in accordance with college policies and procedures.
3. Develop expansion plans for faculty members, space, equipment and partnerships that extend beyond the next fiscal year.
C. Public Relations/Communications
1. Facilitate communication within the school, with other areas of the college and with the community.
2. Facilitate effective communication with and among department faculty and staff.
3. Use advisory committees and other outside contacts to promote the college and department mission and goals.
4. Participate in various college standing and ad hoc committees.
5. Develop, promote and implement departmental articulation agreements with other colleges and universities through the appropriate college departments.
6. Represent the college and department at off-campus meetings.
D. Professional Development
1. Develop and maintain appropriate interaction and meeting to assist faculty members as they proceed through the tenure process
2. Initiate and implement personal, faculty, and support staff professional development plans and activities.
3. Develop and maintain appropriate interaction with individual department faculty and support staff to evaluate and improve performance.
A. Master’s degree in a discipline from a regionally accredited institution related to the department curriculum.
B. Five years of teaching experience at the post-secondary level.
A. Doctorate degree.
B. Teaching experience on the community college level.
Open Until Filled
Anticipated Start Date:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please provide 3 professional references including names, contact information and how you know them
Hours of Work:
The Dean for the School of Language and the Arts will receive compensation and benefits for this position in accordance with the Handbook for Non-Affiliated Administrators ( NAA ) and pertinent Board of Trustees Policies. Regular, prompt attendance shall be considered an essential job responsibility.
Days of Work:
Monday - Friday
If other, please specify:
"Ocean County has developed a good system of outreach sites countywide," Vicari said. "These sites provide for trained outreach staff to...