As the nation's first multi-campus charter school, Friendship Public Charter School has been producing college-ready students for over 15 years. From Preschool through 12th grade, Friendship invests in providing a rigorous academic curriculum that enables our children to excel as ethical, literate, and well-rounded leaders in a 21st century economy. We surpass our peers across the District in public education with a 91% graduation and college entrance rate. to this end, we also hold teh quality, success, and development of our teachers with paramount importance. We provide a number of professional growth and development opportunities which have yielded both the 2010 and 2011 DC Teachers of the Year, and three outstanding school principals who launched their careers in our classrooms.
The Dean of Students is a critical stakeholder in driving our efforts to educate the whole child. This individual is responsible for implementing the school-wide plan for creating a positive culture of behavior in academy and to administer discipline. The Dean not only reinforces our academic and behavioral expectations for our young leaders, but also embodies and models expectations.
- Provide and supervise in a fair and consistent manner effective discipline system with high standards, consistent with the philosophy, values, and mission of the school and district, in accordance with due process and other laws and regulations.
- Supervise Academic Advisors in the implementation of the school wide plan for creating a positive culture of behavior in the school.
- Team with teachers, staff, social worker, parent coordinator and curriculum and professional development coordinator in the development and implementation of the school-wide plan for creating a positive culture of behavior in the school.
- Notify appropriate personnel and agencies immediately, and follow established procedures when there is evidence of substance abuse, child abuse, child neglect, severe medical or social conditions, potential suicide or individuals appearing to be under the influence of alcohol, controlled substances, or anabolic steroids.
- Establish a professional rapport with students and with staff. Display the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards when working with students, parents, school personnel, and agencies associated with the school. Meet with parents regarding student discipline and behavior issues.
- Ensures a safe, orderly environment that encourages students to take responsibility for behavior and creates high morale among staff and students.
- Maintain positive, cooperative, and mutually supportive relationships with the central administration, parents, and representatives of resource agencies within the community.
- Bachelor's Degree in Education, Youth Development, Social Work or related discipline.
- Experience working with Middle school age children.
- Administrative and supervisory experience working in a school or educational setting.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills and the ability to motivate people.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents and the community.
Friendship Public Charter Schools - 14 months ago