Ashford University seeks to recruit an energetic and inspiring leader to serve as Dean of the College of Health Human Services and Science at our Clinton, Iowa campus. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative, visionary leader who is committed to making a life-long impact on the educational futures of the students in the College and the campus at large. Ashford University strives to provide classroom facilities and a learning environment that will produce graduates who are committed to making a positive difference in the world in which they work and live. At Ashford University, we are committed to educating the whole person. *Note: Review of application reviews will be mid- August 2013.
The Dean of the College of Health Human Services and Science position is a full-time employment opportunity. The Dean of the College of Health, Human Services, and Science provides leadership and coordination for all activities in the College of Health, Human Services and Science at the Clinton campus. The Dean works with other Deans and Department leaders, to administer the academic programs and improve academic services and programs offered by Ashford University. Additionally, the Dean is responsible for ensuring high quality classroom instruction by maintaining professorial status, supervising and supporting faculty members in the college, supporting the professional development of college staff, developing curriculum and pedagogical practices that are consistent with the mission and goals of Ashford University and its programs.
Ashford University uses a matrix management model in all areas of operation. As it is applied in regard to the academic dean’s role, both campus-wide coordination factors and academic development and delivery factors are important aspects that the academic dean must manage and lead. It is important that the academic dean effectively manages and coordinates all of the resources of the organization to create the best circumstances for our students and the organization. Sometimes the best resources will be at our San Diego offices; other times the best resources will be at our Clinton campus. In all cases, it is the responsibility of the dean to keep everyone in the organization appropriately informed and involved, with our students’ best interests as the primary focus. The Dean of the College of Health Human Services and Science reports directly to Executive Dean of the College of Health Human Services and Science with a strong dotted line to the V.P./Campus Director.
Essential Job Duties:
• Provides leadership and directs the work of the College’s faculty and professional and administrative staff at the Clinton campus.
• Provides leadership in the areas of assessment of student learning, faculty governance and support, maintaining regional accreditation.
• Oversees program reviews for campus-based academic programs in the college.
• Provides follow-up assistance through implementation for decisions and directives from both the Vice President-Campus Director and the Executive Dean.
• Maintains effective organization through proper selection and development of instructional personnel and monitors evaluation systems of instructional personnel.
• Makes personnel decisions within the area of instruction.
• Makes decisions regarding instructional policies and procedures.
• Makes recommendations and suggestions regarding the allocation of financial resources of the institution to instructional areas.
• Serve as a member of the Campus Leadership Team.
• Evaluates all personnel who report directly to the College of Health, Human Services and Sciences campus dean.
• Remains knowledgeable of, and ensure compliance with, Board policy, Coordinating Board rules and regulations, and federal, state or local laws regulating higher education within areas of responsibility.
• Collaborates with the Executive Dean in the areas of curriculum development, program reviews, curriculum alignment, academic policy development, external programmatic accreditations, college governance, and other common initiatives, spanning modalities.
• Coordinates the preparation of the schedule of classes.
• Assists in preparation of the University catalog.
• Reviews, and decides upon, recommendations for campus faculty appointments.
• Develops annual budget as well as short and long term financial plans for the
• Develops and initiates research initiatives in collaboration with the other
• Promotes diversity in faculty recruitment and excellence in faculty scholarship.
• Collaborates with other University departments to ensure a positive overall experience for all University students.
• Promotes collegiality among college faculty.
Additional Job Duties (include but are not limited to):
• Serves on committees as requested by V.P./Campus Director and/or The Executive Dean
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Qualifications necessary for appointment as full professor
• Collaborative, results focused leadership style.
• Creative leadership for new program development.
• Commitment to the vision and values of the University.
• A record of success as a college faculty member and/or administrator. Relevant professional experience in a non-academic environment may be considered an asset.
• The preferred candidate will have an earned doctorate in a discipline represented in the College of Health, Human Services and Sciences or a closely related field.
If a degree is required for the position, completed
degrees must be conferred by a regionally accredited or approved nationally
accredited institution. All candidates must provide proof of education (official transcripts) upon request.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually moderate to loud .
Note : This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history, professional reference checks and public social media postings; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended. As an employer, we participate in E-Verify. To learn
more please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Notice to Prospective Employees
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security
Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (the “Clery Act”), prospective employees
are entitled to request and receive a copy of Ashford University Annual
Campus Security Report. The Report can be accessed at Campus Security & Fire Safety Report . The report includes
certain campus safety policies and statistics on reportable crimes and
incidents that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings, and on
public property immediately adjacent to campus or accessible from campus for
three previous years. The policies include campus security policies,
crime prevention, and alcohol and drug use, and sexual assault, among
others. To obtain a paper copy of the report, please contact HumanResources@bpiedu.com .
Wait, there’s more… For more up-to-date news follow us on Twitter: @AshfordUCareers
You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. With more...