The Dean provides vision, direction and overall leadership for the Honors College and the Presidential Scholars Program. The Dean generates financial support for the College in concert with the University Foundation. The Dean ensures the quality of instruction for students in the program, takes the lead in developing and managing a a coherent strategic plan to advance the Honors College.
The Honors College is an independent academic unit reporting to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The primary function of the position is academic leadership and administration, with additional duties including advisement, teaching and fund generation.
- Financial and Administrative Oversight of the College and the Presidential Scholars Program
- Facilitating creation of curriculum within the Honors College and coordinating the creation of honors courses across the colleges to enhance the growth and development.
- Coordinating with the Division of Enrollment Management, academic advisers and others on matters concerning the admission, development and graduation of Honors students.
- Planning, scheduling and directing courses for the Honors College, including general education and core curriculum.
- Assessment activities related to the Honors college as per the Higher Learning Commission and the University’s Strategic Plan.
- Teach at least one Honors course per academic year, with a maximum of one additional discipline specific course each year as part of the regular duties.
- Play an active role in the recruitment and marketing of the College while working with the Enrollment Services Division, including admissions, records and registration, financial aid, alumni affairs, and other administrative units.
- Maintaining individual and institutional membership in the National collegiate Honors Council.
+ Earned PhD or Ed.D;
+ Substantial record of intellectual/creative accomplishments;
+ Excellent record of teaching, research and service at a 4-year, degree granting university or college with a recognized regional accreditation;
+ Meet requirements for an academic rank with suitable credentials for a tenured/tenure-track appointment in an academic discipline.
+ Previous administrative experience at the college or university level in an honors college or program.
+ Demonstrate previous experience in a university honors college or program.
+ Hold previous administrative experience as a department or program chair or assistant/associate dean at a university with experience in budgeting, personnel management, course scheduling, and accreditation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
+ Excellent writing and oral English skills
+ Technology literate
+ Good interpersonal communication skills
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submission of application and vita on-line along with 3 letters of reference will be required. In addition, a writing sample of work will be required of finalists. Official transcript showing receipt of terminal degree will be required. All new hires will under go background checks.
Chicago State University - 17 months ago