Assist dentist in providing dental treatment, care and education to patients. Must possess strong knowledge and skill of clinical needs, and working knowledge of back office dental procedures and dental administrative functions. Must have Expanded Duties Certificate and/or Radiography Certification upon hire or within ninety (90) days after hire.
Duties and Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Awareness of delegable duties and functions allowed to be performed by dental assistant.
- Assist in clinical procedures and treatments.
- Learn and comply with Coast’s administrative procedures.
- Learn and comply with OSHA laws and safety guidelines.
- Maintain Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Learn and comply with state and Federal infection control standards in the dental office and operatories, including but not limited to: wearing protective barriers such as gloves, scrubs, and eye wear; disinfecting and sterilizing instruments and treatment areas; and disposing properly of contaminated or bio-hazardous waste/materials.
- Insure review and completion of documentation, including but not limited to: accurate and current medical history, medical alerts, and signed Consent forms.
- Document/chart all dental procedures performed during each patient visit according to dentist’s instructions and legal requirements.
- Welcome and escort patient in reception to and from the treatment areas. Schedule appointments and assist in appointment confirmation calls.
- Effectively provide dental education and information to insure patient awareness of dental health and continuing treatment.
- Effectively present to patient in professional and confidential manner dental treatment plan and proposed plan for continuing treatments.
- Understand and explain insurance benefits and financial options to patients in nonclinical terms.
- Ensure operatories are appropriately equipped and stocked with inventory and re-order when necessary.
- Maintain equipment protocols, including but not limited to: clean evacuation system, lubricate and maintain dental hand pieces, clean and maintain radiograph processors, monitor and clean equipment, clean dental lab plaster traps and maintain clean office environment.
- Notify Office Manager of equipment failure or general safety concerns.
- Assist with laboratory duties as necessary.
- Recognize signs of a dental emergency, and insure proper and timely response and notification to patient, staff, and emergency medical personnel when necessary.
- Understand and agree to maintain production standards.
- Effectively utilize and maintain a system of contact for patient follow-up/re-care.
- Maintain professional working environment within office team.
- Attend and participate in morning huddles and regular office meetings.
- Adhere to uniform attire and basic personal hygiene standards per Company policy.
- Attend continuing education and training seminars as scheduled.
- Understand and abide by HIPAA regulations and maintain confidentiality.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Retain license (Registered, CDA or EFDA) and demonstrate proficiency to perform expanded dental assistant functions according to state guidelines and limitations.
- Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (EFDA) certification or a Registered or Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) license, according to state guidelines and limitations.
- Radiography licensure.
- Minimum of one-year dental experience preferred.
- Excellent customer services skills and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in high volume environment.
Coast Dental Services, LLC - 24 months ago
copy to clipboard
Founded in 1992, Coast Dental Services prides itself on being the employer of choice in the dental industry. General dentists, specialists,...