The Receptionist performs a variety of clerical, reception, and administrative or secretarial tasks: answers and screens phone calls, takes messages, schedules appointments, obtains billing information, checks in patients, maintains and updates patient demographic data.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Reads, speaks, understands and writes proficiently in English.
• Works independently and is self-directed.
• Works effectively in team environment.
• Organizes, prioritizes, and coordinates multiple activities and tasks.
• Works with initiative, energy and effectiveness in a fast-paced environment.
• Produces work in high quantity and quality.
• Problem-solves with creativity and ingenuity.
• Remains calm and effective in high pressure and emergency situations.
• Use of multi-line telephones and other office machines.
• Keyboarding: 30 wpm with a 95% accuracy rate.
• Knowledge of dental terminology.
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications; Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Bilingual skills.
• High school graduate or equivalent.
• Graduate of an accredited Office Skills Certification Program or related field.
• Graduate of an accredited Dental Administrative Assistant Certification program or related field.
• Customer service related experience working with the general public (1 year).
• Clerical, reception, dental assisting, administrative or secretarial experience in a dental setting or healthcare insurance organization (1 year); or a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
• Working with insurance/billing in a healthcare setting/insurance organization.
• Experience in a multiple provider dental practice.
• Digital imaging familiarity.
• Healthcare information systems, such as electronic health record and practice management systems experience.
• Working with low income, multi-ethnic populations.
Job Specific Functions/Performance Expectations:
1. Greets patients, interpreters and visitors, in person and by phone, in a prompt, courteous and helpful manner, responds to inquiries, takes messages, and provides accurate information regarding schedules and services.
2. Checks in, registers and schedules patients in the practice management system. Maintains appointment schedule and follows office scheduling policies.
3. Verifies and updates all demographic information in the electronic record at each patient visit.
4. Assists in managing patient flow in a timely and efficient manner. Coordinates distribution of walk-in and add-on patients appropriately. Interfaces with back office regarding walk-in patients, cancellations, recalls and delays to ensure smooth patient flow.
5. Routes or files documents and mail appropriately.
6. Assists with insurance eligibility verification.
7. Verifies income for sliding fee patients and assists in the completion of the sliding fee application as delegated.
8. Receives patient payments, answers or appropriately refers billing questions, and maintain appropriate records of all financial transactions. Prepares daily bank deposit, reconcile receipts (including cash, checks and bankcard transactions) assuring accuracy and timeliness of the deposit and ensuring security under cash management and accounting practices.
9. Orders interpreter and transportation services and interfaces with other outside organizations regarding patient services.
10. Assists in confirming appointments as needed.
11. Files, retrieves charts from storage and logs chart movements with accuracy and timeliness to prevent loss of records and ensure confidentiality of patient information.
12. Opens and closes clinic and reception areas for all business hours.
13. Maintains work area and reception lobby in neat and orderly manner.
14. Maintains adequate inventory of office supplies and clinical forms.
15. Performs maintenance and troubleshoot operations of office equipment and machines, to include calculators, copiers, fax, printers, etc.
16. Assists with other departments when called upon.
17. Adheres to attendance standards in order to perform the job functions for daily operations and/or continuity of patient care.
Community Health Center of Snohomish County (CHC) is a non-profit provider of primary medical, dental and pharmacy services. CHC was founded...