Administers affairs of a clinical, basic science, or college department.
- Assign teaching responsibilities and oversee the development and delivery of instructional activities of faculty within the Department.
- In consultation with the Department faculty, recruit and recommend to the Dean new faculty for appointment in the Department.
- Mentor faculty and promote faculty development.
- Conduct annual performance evaluations of faculty within the Department and make recommendations pertaining to salary adjustments and personnel actions to the Dean.
- Oversee Department review of applicants for promotion and/or tenure following the Bylaws of the SOM and the Promotion and Tenure Guidelines of the Department.
- As Department Chair, recommend tenure and/or promotion of faculty within the Department.
- Schedule and chair regular meetings of the Department.
- Appoint committees of Department faculty to address special issues of interest to the Department.
- Control department budgets.
- Present annual budget requests to the Dean.
- As Department Chair, oversee the graduate program functions as outlined for the chair in the policies, procedures, and Bylaws of the GSBS .
- Appoint and supervise the Graduate Program Advisor.
- Interface with the TTUHSC Office of Sponsored Programs and the Research Office on issues of grant/contract administration and oversight as they pertain to the department and department faculty and staff.
- Promote safe working conditions and procedures in the Department.
- Interface with TTUHSC Safety Services on issues of safety as they pertain to the Department.
- Make recommendations to the Dean and University administration on modifications of Department laboratory, common equipment or office space.
- Represent the Department to external institutions, organizations and agencies.
- Seek extramural funding for scholarship.
- Teach in assigned courses.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Dean.
Terminal degree in specialty or skill taught in the department.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Security Level (TTU only)
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
If yes, are select agents used in this laboratory?
Texas Tech University HSC - Lubbock
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
A Resume/C.V. is required to be uploaded when applying to this position.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Hourly Pay Range
Monthly Pay Range
Internal Candidates Only?
Internal Cand Open Date
Internal Cand Closing Date
The entities of Texas Tech University System are Equal Opportunity employers and are in compliance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended, Texas Commission on Human Rights Act (Texas Labor Code, Chapter 21), Americans with Disabilities Act as amended, and employs without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability or status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran.
Texas Tech University - 8 months ago