DEPUTY CAMPUS DIRECTOR, TEXAS
About Citizen Schools:
Citizen Schools accelerates student learning through an innovative expanded learning time model that is rigorous and evidence-based. We partner with middle schools to provide "apprenticeships” (hands-on projects taught by volunteers from business and civic organizations), academic support and a culture of high expectations. As a result, our students develop the skills, knowledge and beliefs they need to succeed in middle school, advance towards college, and become leaders in their careers and communities. Our goal is to demonstrate that these approaches, taken together, can transform struggling schools.
Citizen Schools operates in eight states (California, Massachusetts, Illinois, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina and Texas), serving approximately 5,000 students and engaging over 4,000 Citizen Teachers. Building on seventeen years of programming innovation and results, Citizen Schools is in the midst of a strategic plan that will place this model at the center of school transformation. Nationally, Citizen Schools is scaling its Expanded Learning Time (ELT) model reach 10,000 students by 2017.
Citizen Schools has been recognized as a national model program by the White House and the U.S. Department of Education, has been named a national winner of Fast Company Magazine’s Social Capitalist Award, and has been chosen by the Skoll Foundation as a winner of the Skoll Social Entrepreneurship Award.
About the Position of Deputy Campus Director:
A Deputy Campus Director works closely with the Campus Director to lead a Citizen Schools’ expanded learning program that engages 125-350 middle school students, 50+ community volunteers, and 10 to 20 full-time and part-time staff. This is an exciting opportunity to simultaneously join in the leadership of an innovative program, drive the creation of a campus community, and assist in the coordination of a growing school and community-based organization. Excellent Deputy Directors possess a commitment to education, a passion for community building, and demonstrated experience in staff development and peer leadership. This is a full-time position reporting directly to the Campus Director. Depending on the number of students served on a particular campus, there may be multiple Deputy Campus Directors. Deputy Campus Directors in Texas serve in Houston.
The Deputy Campus Director role has a start date in the first week of July, 2013.
- Assist in coaching and developing full-time Teaching Fellows, part-time Teaching Associates, and volunteer Citizen Teachers through ongoing observation and feedback. Most Deputy Campus Directors directly supervise a cohort of 5-7 staff members.
- Ensure staff are performing delegated roles, projects and tasks at high levels
- Assist Campus Director in planning, preparation and delivery of weekly staff meeting
- Serve as a leading campus educator, modeling interactive, hands-on learning with staff and children as well as heading up daily campus behavior management
- Develop and model strong campus culture among staff, apprentices, families and community, based on Citizen Schools values
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with staff of the host school, attend key meetings of teaching, guidance and administrative staff and maintain math/ELA or other priority achievement focus in order to support students’ academic development
- Assist in development and implementation of plans for recruitment and retention of students
- Collaborate with Campus Director to establish effective family engagement and communication strategies amongst school personnel and families
- Collaborate with Campus Director to oversee campus recruitment of and ongoing training and support for Citizen Teachers
- Ensure dissemination of key information among headquarters/regional office and campus staff, school constituents, apprentices, families and community partners
- Collaborate with Campus Director to establish effective program calendar for apprentices, families, Citizen Teachers and staff and then help lead and organize trainings, events, newsletters, etc.
- Deliver and assure daily quality of the Citizen Schools program model by leading on campus operations, supplies, daily staff and school communication, program transitions, etc.
- Work closely with Campus Director, state office and Citizen Schools headquarters to manage and document campus logistics, including attendance, tuition collection, database information, evaluation materials, etc.
- Aid Campus Director in ensuring health and safety of all participants and compliance with all Citizen Schools’ and state standards
- Co-manage campus budget with Campus Director
The Deputy Campus Director will assist the Campus Director in leading a team of front-line educators in the delivery of an outcomes-focused, hands-on educational program. All candidates will be expected to demonstrate maturity, leadership potential and a track record of achieving results in a demanding environment. He or she must possess the following:
- Fundamental belief that children from all backgrounds can succeed in school and in life, on an absolute scale
- Minimum of two years teaching in a high-needs public or charter school setting is required for consideration (completion of the Citizen Schools National Teaching Fellowship, or two years as a Teaching Associate, satisfies this requirement.)
- Experience in education, youth development and/or youth program administration is an advantage but not required
- Demonstrated readiness for a management role, with a particular emphasis on coaching brand-new educators
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with internal and external partners, including peer-to-peer support through constant feedback and communication
- Commitment to using evaluation as a program quality management tool, and proficiency with using data to drive decision-making
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to influence and motivate others
- Excellent time management skills and organizational skills
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills
- Energy, creativity, initiative, and enthusiasm
- Resilience, resourcefulness, and sound judgment
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural competence
- Ability to model Citizen Schools’ core values: Pride, Joy, Respect, Courage, Teamwork, Perseverance, and Vision
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary range is commensurate with experience. Full benefits include health care, 403B, three weeks vacation, and extensive training and professional development opportunities. All Deputy Campus Directors participate in the Citizen Schools national network via trainings, site visits, institutes and organization wide retreats and meetings.
Please complete the online application using the link on this page, including thoughtful answers to the two short-answer questions as well as submitting a resume & cover letter. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Citizen Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry, political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability or veteran status.
If our nation was founded on the concept of citizen soldiers, Citizen Schools is like boot camp for citizen students. The non-profit...