The Deputy Chief of Schools (DCOS) is responsible for coaching, supporting, and developing school leaders to meet their ambitious school goals. The DCOS will oversee the instructional and operational programs in a Master Charter Schools Network, either Elementary or Secondary. Ultimately, the DCOS is responsible for the implementation and execution of Mastery Charter’s academic and management models and school’s fidelity to Mastery’s values and mission. The DCOS will directly supervise principals in his/her network, serving as a strategic partner to the principals, many school leadership teams throughout Mastery’s network, and Mastery’s senior leaders.
The DCOS is a member of the senior leadership team and will be involved in the overall strategy of Mastery Charter Schools.
Key Challenges/Major Issues:
Mastery Charter Schools’ purpose is to raise the bar for urban education and prompt system change. The DCOS will need to work continually with school leaders to strategize on plans to close the achievement gap in all academic subjects.
Risks and Opportunities:
Risks – the DCOS will operate with limited resources and failure to maintain and grow student achievement at his/her schools could result in negative impact on students, staff, the community, and the organization.
Opportunity – the DCOS will work to close the achievement gap, strengthen the principals’ impact on the school, develop strong leaders within Mastery.
Duties, Responsibilities, and Expected Contribution:
- Oversee and drive the implementation of Mastery-wide initiatives related to academics, instruction, professional development, coaching, school culture, data systems, operations in his/her network of schools
- Ensure that all schools meet core performance outcomes and achieve dramatic gap-closing student performance gains in all subject areas
- Collaborate with the Chief Academic Officer (CAO) and Senior Director of Academic Programs on an ongoing basis to improve Mastery’s systems and model
- Ensure all schools meet their school culture goals
- Regularly review data to spot strengths and growth areas; work with principals to develop clear plans to address growth areas
- Work with principals to set teacher professional development priorities for the year and to design outstanding site-based and network-wide professional development
- Problem-solve solutions to challenges common to all schools in network
- Work with principals to design and implement rigorous intervention programs
- Drive strong talent practices at schools, and support, coach, train, and supervise principals and administrators to help develop leadership skills
- Create and deliver MidYear development plans and End of Year reviews for principals
- Achieve strong survey results on key measures of principal/administrators satisfaction and team function
- Understand the concerns and constraints of schools and the NST to facilitate positive working relationships
- Ensure schools are getting a high level of service from the NST
- Belief in Mastery Charter Schools’ mission and educational model
- Results oriented individual with strong people skills and project management skills
- A determined leader willing to do demonstrate “grit”
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Resilient, flexible, and adaptable to changing priorities
- Ability to inspire and influence others towards executing successful results
- Strong coaching skills
- Highly motivated and capable to see projects through from beginning to end
- Solid analytical, communication, influence, and negotiation skills
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, joy and humor
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as traveling to network campuses and maneuvering in office space-reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls
- Must be able to sit for up to two (2) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard and mouse and typing
- Ability to push, pull, lift 20 pounds
Education and Experience:
- Must have a valid driver's license and access to a vehicle for traveling requirements.
Functional Knowledge and Academic Expertise Required:
- Bachelor’s degree required\
- Master’s degree preferred
- PA state certification strongly preferred
- At least 7+ years as a school administrator with a strong track record of student performance
- At least 2 years as a principal at Mastery Charter Schools with a strong track record of student performance and leadership development
- At least 5 years of highly effective teaching experience demonstrating a strong track record of student performance