There is an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.
Under executive direction, the Deputy Director, Human Services is responsible for providing overall coordination of day-to-day operations for the department; and/or to provide direction to a branch or group of divisions; to act for the Director within delegated authorities; and to perform related work as assigned.
Examples of Knowledge and Abilities:
- Administrative principles and methods, including policy implementation, goal setting, program development and administration, and employee supervision
- Budget development and administration
- Principles and practices of conflict resolution
- Human services programs related to assigned area of service
- Governmental organizational structures
- Social, political and economic issues influencing area of responsibility
- Available public and private community resources
- Plan, coordinate and administer a comprehensive branch program incorporating diverse services and programs
- Select, motivate and manage a large staff, evaluate performance and effectiveness and provide for their training and professional development
- Analyze and resolve complex administrative problems and negotiate effective solutions among diverse interests
- Coordinate and integrate multiple programs within the context of the county structure while addressing community concerns
- Exercise sound independent judgment within general policy guidelines
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with a large and diverse group of people encountered in the course of the work
Any combination of education, training and experience likely to provide the required Knowledge and Abilities for this class as described above. Typical ways include:
Possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a management field such as public administration, business administration, or health services administration; or in a related human service field such as social work, psychology, mental health, public health, health sciences, or sociology; or a closely related health field such as life sciences or physical sciences. A Master's degree is desirable.
Four (4) years of experience managing a major organizational unit or program within the field of human services delivery or human services administration with responsibilities for planning, directing, and controlling the activities of subordinate staff; and including program development and management, budget preparation and administration, development of policies and procedures, and supervision and evaluation of staff.
Note: The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the job announcement states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.
Note: If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the final filing date listed in this notice.
The probationary period for this classification is twelve (12) months.
Application and Testing Information:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit a County of Sacramento employment application online, in person, or by mail, by 5:00 PM on the final filing date of Thursday, February 28, 2013. Click here to apply on-line
County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone 916-874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions" or attached to the paper job application. Please be descriptive in your response.
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the final filing date. Employment Services is not responsible for the untimely delivery of materials sent via U.S./specialized mail, or County interoffice mail. Postmarks will not be accepted.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the final filing date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Note: Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the final filing date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results either by email or mail based on their notification preference. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the final filing date. Employment Services is not responsible for the untimely delivery of materials sent via U.S./specialized mail, or County interoffice mail.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate or Credentials Screening Panel exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES ONLY
Applicants with disabilities requesting an applicable ADA testing accommodation must complete a Reasonable Accommodation Request Form filled out and signed by the applicant and their doctor. This form must be submitted to the Disability Compliance Office by the final filing date as listed in this job announcement. Download the Reasonable Accommodation Request Form by clicking here or contact by mail or in person the Sacramento County Employment Services Division or Disability Compliance Office.
Failure to submit this request by the final filing date may result in the County being unable to provide the requested accommodation in a timely manner for this administration of the examination.
Sacramento County Disability Compliance Office
- Call 916-874-5627 and you will be provided with a recorded message, accessible 24 hours a day.
- Applications are available at the Employment Services Division Office, however we encourage all applicants to apply on-line.
700 H Street, Room 5720
Sacramento, CA 95814
Sacramento County, CA - 18 months ago