Legal Progress, the legal policy and communications program at the Center for American Progress, seeks a highly motivated, well-connected, engaging and energetic professional with a legal background to serve as a Deputy Director, to oversee the programs in state, grassroots organizing work. The primary focus of the position will be working with and directing in-state advocates across the country to work on issues relating to the courts and the law, including, significantly, judicial confirmations and the role courts play in progressive policy issues.
- Work with and direct in-state advocates across the country to work on issues relating to the courts and the law, including, significantly, judicial confirmations and the role courts play in progressive policy issues.
- Build and maintain effective coalitions of advocates.
- Translate federal cases and controversies into understandable language to motivate action.
- Serve as a resource on strategy and tactics, and act as a conduit of information between these state advocates and D.C.-based policymakers.
- Develop and implement new and innovative communications and substantive policy ideas in support of Legal Progress work around promoting a progressive vision of the law and the Constitution and around civic participation, focusing primarily on progressive allies outside Washington, D.C.
- The position will require some travel, and will require a significant amount of writing for advocates and media, as well as oral presentation.
- Substantive familiarity with the federal judicial nominations process and key players.
- Substantive knowledge of the federal court system and the ability to translate cases and controversies to nonlegal audiences.
- Significant experience working with and motivating grassroots advocates outside Washington, D.C.
- Excellent oral communications and oral presentation skills.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong political instincts and the ability to navigate coalition politics.
- Established relationships with advocates, community leaders and policymakers across the progressive landscape, both inside Washington, D.C., and nationally.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-sufficient and self-directed.
- Demonstrated ability to be entrepreneurial and creative.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategic, long-term plans and implement them successfully.
- J.D. degree.
- Communications and campaign experience highly recommended.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org .
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org .
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: email@example.com .
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please .
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress - 23 months ago