Reporting to the News Editor, NFL Media Group, the Deputy News Editor is responsible for managing the day-to-day operation of the Media Group’s Culver City-based newsroom. The successful candidate must have several years of experience managing a fast-paced, 24/7, multi-platform news gathering organization. He/she must be able to balance the necessity to be absolutely sure that the information presented to our audiences is accurate, with the time pressures to get it to viewers/readers/listeners as soon as possible. He/she must have a level of maturity to recognize politically and socially sensitive material, alerting senior management to this fact for any guidance that they may choose to offer. A degree in journalism is also highly desirable.
- Operational management of the Media Group’s multi-platform news room and news gathering operation on a day-to-day basis, including daily oversight of network assignment managers and editors, digital media editors and content producers, and a regionally-based reporting staff.
- Lead the daily editorial meeting and manage the day-to-day editorial decision making process.
- Ensure the editorial consistency of reporting across platforms with an understanding of the nuances between reporting for television and digital media.
- Manage the flow of content coming into the newsroom and its distribution across platforms.
- Ensure all reporting meets the editorial standards of the NFL Media Group, regardless of reporting platform.
- Work with the Managing Editor, Digital News, to manage an aggressive, metrics driven approach to programming of the headline news stack and news section of NFL.com to drive traffic and increase user engagement.
- Manage the appropriate network and digital media budgets in collaboration with the Coordinating Producer, Newsroom, and the Managing Editor, Digital News.
- Work with the News Editor to identify and recruit writing and editing talent.
- 10+ years experience managing a newsroom or news gathering organization serving a multi-platform media outlet, preferably one focused on sports.
- Deep knowledge of the NFL and a proven ability to make sound editorial decisions based on that knowledge
- Extensive experience leveraging audience data to make informed editorial decisions
- Deep understanding of social media’s role in and impact upon news reporting
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills
- Willingness to work nights, weekends, and holidays
- B.A. in journalism or a similar field
- Strong computer skills
- A strategic thinker who can effectively make the case for taking calculated risks
- Desire and ability to innovate and adapt.
NFL Films promotes and preserves the history of the gridiron. Every year, the National Football League (NFL) subsidiary films about 270...