Under general supervision of the Sergeant/Shift Supervisor, performs duties to enforce federal, state and local laws; protect citizens of the County; and promote public safety. Deputy Sheriffs may be assigned special projects on an on-going or short-term basis (schools, investigation, bailiff, civil process serving, training coordinator, etc.). While much of this work is performed independently and without the immediate presence of a supervisor, deputies are required to draw upon their extensive training, departmental policies and procedures, mandates, and laws governing a deputy's response and conduct, when determining the appropriate course of action, balancing education and enforcement.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patrol designated patrol areas.
- Writes reports, maintains law enforcement logs, case records, incident reports and other required reports.
- Respond to calls, civil and criminal complaints, disturbances, medicals, accidents or requests for emergency assistance.
- Assists and conducts investigative activities and tasks.
- Participates in task force work in various capacities.
SCORED EXAMINATION PROCESS:
- Associates Degree in Criminal Justice or Behavioral/Social Science field and;
- MN P.O.S.T. licensure or license eligible and;
- Valid Minnesota Driver's License or ability to obtain within 60 days of employment
All applications will be screened for minimum qualifications. Those meeting minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in the written examination. The written examination will be administered the week of February 11, 2013 at the Carver County Courthouse in Chaska Minnesota. Qualified applicants will be contacted by Employee Relations with additional information. Final selection for the position will include successful completion of oral interviews, background investigation, psychological exam and physical examination.
*********The County has current openings available for this job classification**************