The Design Camp Coordinator is the lead staff member throughout the camp season, working with the assistant camp coordinator, counselors, and teaching staff including instructors and teaching assistants (TAs).
The Coordinator also works closely with CAM Raleigh staff, especially the Camps + Workshops Coordinator, to ensure a successful camp experience for campers, parents, and staff. Assistant Camp Coordinators will be hired for each camp session to help with the responsibilities outlined below.
Temporary Position: February – August 2013
Experience working with youth in a summer camp environment (actual Design Camp experience strongly preferred)
Current undergrad or grad student or recent graduate of NC State College of Design.
Leadership experience, strong work ethic, attention to detail
Departmental Required Skills
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Demonstrated ability to handle high levels of responsibility and high volume work load
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Must have A LOT of energy and positive attitude
- Valid driver’s license and access to private vehicle
First Aid Certified, or will be by time of camp start
- NCSU / CAM Design Camp experience strongly preferred
Required License or Certification
Overnight Camp 1: June 23-29
Day Camp: July 14-19
Overnight Camp 2: July 28 – August 3
WORK HOURS :
The Camp Coordinator is essentially on the clock 24 hours a day while the camp is in session (including the Saturday Camp Staff Prep Session) for overnight camps. During the Day Camp the Camp Coordinator can expect to work from around 7:30 a.m.–6:00 p.m.(sometimes later) during the week of camp (Mon–Fri). Please note that there will be a camp counselor feedback session for each camp (Saturday afternoon/evening for Overnight Camps and Thursday evening for Day Camp). There will be an afternoon orientation session on Sunday, July 10. See sample schedule for details. Please note that these schedules are subject to change.
Meals + Housing
Meals (lunch only for day camp) and housing (overnight camps only) are provided during camp. The Camp Coordinator is required to live in the dorms (Welch or Gold) during the overnight camp sessions.
DESIGN CAMP COORDINATOR RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Assist CAM Raleigh staff with selection of Assistant Camp Coordinators
- Attend camp instructor planning meetings
- Attend and help lead camp staff recruitment meetings
- Work with CAM Raleigh Staff and Assistant Camp Coordinators on counselor and TA selection and assist with hiring process
Early June 2013
- Help plan and attend camp staff meetings as required
- Complete supplies inventory
- Verify camp supply orders with CAM Raleigh staff
- Place supply orders with local vendors and pick-up all supplies
- Assist CAM Raleigh staff in development of camp schedule
- Work with CAM Staff and Assistant Coordinators on planning key trainings for staff and presentations for campers.
- Work with CAM Raleigh staff to develop an appropriate pick-up/drop-off system for the day camp
Camp Season, June–August 2013
- Move all supplies to designated camp staff room for duration of summer
- Organize supplies according to studio needs
- Meet with Assistant Coordinators and CAM Raleigh staff to assist with planning
- Work with Assistant Coordinators to develop “Kit” of camp games and side projects for camper groups.
- Make catering and activity reservations as needed
- Arrange camp activities (bowling night, movie screenings, full camp game or party)
Questions may be directed to: Julia Rice (919) 513-8153 or email@example.com
- Communicate camp prep session details with counselors and studio TAs two weeks in advance of camp dates and follow up as necessary to ensure the information has been received and understood.
- Lead dorm walk-through, set-up rooms (Tuesday prior to start of camp, Overnight ACCs will assist)
- Lead camp prep session for counselors and studio TAs, oversee studio prep
- Assist with camper check-in and participate in camp orientation session
- Work with Day Camp Assistant Camp Coordinator to coordinate daily drop-off and pick-up of campers
- Assist with the pick-up, daily inventory and return of all IT equipment on schedule
- Oversee the production of the Counselor/TA Portfolio Review (compile presentation and lead session)
- Facilitate evening or morning presentations and activities at each camp
- Communicate with parents requiring late check-in and early pick-up
- Manage all camp staff, including conducting daily (or nightly) staff meetings with counselors to ensure smooth operations and to tackle any issues that arise
- Reside in dorms with campers and counselors (overnight camps only)
- Keep tabs on all studio supplies, communicate daily with faculty on supply needs, pick-up supplies as needed
- Lead staff in charge of emergency and disciplinary situations
- Lead the planning for end-of-camp reception, and assist with its set-up
- Work with other camp staff to keep facilities and storage area clean and organized
- Assist with counselor feedback sessions at the conclusion of each camp
- Lead camp clean-up, supply inventory and organization at the end of each camp.
- Coordinate the packing, organizing, and store of supplies at the end of the season.
North Carolina State University - 23 months ago