Brookhaven National Laboratory is a nonprofit research and development institution whose purpose is to advance ideas and knowledge through a multidisciplinary program of basic and applied research. The Instrumentation Group currently has a full-time opportunity for a Design Engineer.
Under minimum technical direction and with considerable latitude for the consistent exercise of a high degree of initiative and judgment, will design, fabricate, and test specialized equipment and test facilities for the LSST experiment.
To develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at BNL, and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of facilities is motivated by present BNL research programs and anticipated future directions of BNL research. The Division’s research efforts also have a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
Our staff scientists are encouraged to:
Become involved in challenging problems in collaborations with other scientists.
Offer unique expertise in solving problems.
Develop new devices and instruments when not commercially available.
Scientists from other BNL Departments are encouraged to bring problems and ideas directly to the Division staff members with the appropriate expertise. Division staff is encouraged to become involved with research problems in other Departments to advance the application of new ideas in instrumentation. The Division Head integrates these efforts when they evolve into larger projects, within available staff and budget resources, and defines the priorities and direction with concurrence of appropriate Laboratory program leaders. The Division Head also ensures that these efforts are accompanied by strict adherence to all ES&H regulatory mandates and policies of the Laboratory. The responsibility for safety and environmental protection is integrated with supervision of particular facilities and conduct of operations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Engineering design of procedures and apparatus required for the LSST camera focal plane
- Generate 3D models and 2D drawings of components, assemblies, and systems to meet experiment needs
- Assemble, align and maintain experimental apparatus
- Carry out measurements on fabricated components and document results
- Coordinate the work of technical support staff
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Requires the equivalent of a technical institute or associate’s degree in a related scientific or engineering field, considerable job-specific training, and eight (8) years in-depth and related experience in a broad technical field
- Must have a thorough knowledge of experimental optics, vacuum technique, thermal and mechanical design, machine shop practice, microprocessors, printed circuit design, and electronics for sensor and actuator systems
- Demonstrated skill in developing concepts into detailed 3D models and drawings, and performing structural and thermal analysis using analytic and numerical tools.
- Experience in design, construction, and operation of cryostats and optics for CCD testing.
- Must have demonstrated the ability to perform broad professional level design functions.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, apply online at www.bnl.gov and click Jobs, then click Search Job List and apply to job # 16250.
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce.
It takes a lot of manpower to build a nation's economic and energy security. That's why there's the US Department of Energy....