Komatsu America Corp. (KAC) is the second-largest, fully-integrated manufacturer and supplier of construction equipment in North America with a reputation for reliability that’s second to none. We have built a network of manufacturing plants and parts depots with approximately 2000 employees who manufacture more than 90% of all Komatsu America equipment right here in the United States.
Our product line ranges from the smallest compact construction size to the largest mining size and includes hydraulic excavators, wheel loaders, crawler dozers, off-highway trucks, motor graders, skid steer loaders, tractor loaders and backhoe loaders.
To design, develop and revise components or systems in order to meet customer expectations of performance, quality, cost and delivery. This includes the generalized design of the overall machine as well as specialized design of components (work equipment, undercarriage, etc.), systems (hydraulic, electrical, cooling, engine installations, etc.) and attachments.
1. Develop drawings, design parts, specify components, route systems (hydraulic/electrical) and create assemblies utilizing 3D CAD, appropriate Komatsu Engineering Standards (KES), ISO Standards, etc.
2. Communicate effectively; write clear concise memo’s including drafts of technical documentation such as Parts and Service News PSN, Operation Manuals OM, and Shop Manuals. Submit technical documents summarizing Design Studies, Quality Confirmation Check Sheets and Trip Reports.
3. Discuss, negotiate and resolve specification issues with Manufacturing and Suppliers during Prototype development and pre-series production. Understand and accommodate manufacturing capabilities and limitations. Resolve all issues with effective countermeasures and follow-up documentation.
4. Conduct Design Reviews to meet Quality, cost and Delivery targets established for the Project. Present design concept, Quality Confirmation Check Sheet and design progress at Design Review Meetings.
5. Meet Quality, Cost and Delivery targets established for the Project. Utilize continuous improvement techniques to improve quality, reduce cost and lead time, etc..
6. Maintain effective Engineering change control by preparing and processing appropriate Engineering Release Letters. Release drawings and supporting technical information into Bills of Material using appropriate software such as GDMS, SAP, etc.
7. Interface with other Komatsu Engineering groups and suppliers as required for exchange of technical information and policies.
8. Support Production, Service and QA departments by resolving problems, determining root cause with effective documentation and countermeasure planning based on engineering disciplines.
9. Recognize and document new technology and submit for possible Patent Application. Submit ideas for “unrivaled features” which could significantly improve market share, profitability, etc.
10. Travel to machine worksites to participate in surveys, investigate problems, understand applications, determine customer expectations, install and evaluate countermeasures, etc. (Domestic and International Travel)
1. BS Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical or equivalent) and approximately 3–5 years of accomplished experience. (Associates degree may be acceptable if sufficient experience and accomplishment is evident.)
2. Proficiency in engineering principles including but not limited to structural mechanics, hydraulics, heat transfer, electricity, ergonomics, 3D CAD and data management.
3. Proficiency in software applications including 3D CAD (Pro Engineer Wildfire 2.0 or 4.0), Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point, as a minimum.
4. Knowledge of engineering standards in drawing practice, dimensioning and tolerancing, drawing symbols, welding practice, etc. Use and understanding of Komatsu Engineering Standards, ISO standards, SAE standards is essential. (However, if the candidate is being hired from another company, a reasonable time will be provided to gain this Komatsu - specific proficiency.)
5. Ability and willingness to travel, including international travel.
Komatsu America Corp. - 12 months ago