SUMMARY OF POSITION: Responsible for creating concept (prototype) designs and providing cost information for Case & Tray delivery systems used in surgical procedures. Position will also support final design requirements as assigned by the Project Engineering Lead.
Under general supervision, makes recommendations in the design and development of new products, which support department goals and objectives.
Analyzes and recommends improvements to existing products and functions as a primary technical resource within specific product groups.
May participate as a project team member, or may serve as leader of a multifunctional project team responsible for moderate to complex projects that are aligned with the business strategy.
As an equal participant on the team, contributes to meeting goals and direction for the group.
Understands all assigned project schedules and communicates status.
Communicates and documents approvals, changes, delays, etc. as appropriate to supervisor, customers, account executives, and project management.
Generates design concepts for new projects based on customer requirements (inputs) as noted in the RFQ / statement of Work.
Generates appropriate documentation as required per Design Control Procedure OCP 40-06 (outputs).
Insures compliance with ISO, FDA and regulatory bodies such as local regulations.
Understands and follows corporate policies and procedures.
Travels for, but not limited to, training, departmental planning session and customer support.
Awareness of market requirements, suggests creative ways to improve designs from both a cost and functional perspective.
Periodically, provide technical advice, expertise and support to other designers.
Routine decisions, which have limited impact on company projects and profits, made under department guidelines.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree preferred. Equivalent job experience may be considered in lieu of a degree. 2-3 years experience in design/product development in related field.
- Applies basic engineering principals, theories, concepts and techniques to tasks and projects within established and appropriate industry norms.
- Applies moderate knowledge of ASME and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing standards.
- Strong design, task management and communication skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Self- starter/motivator for personal and professional growth.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving and communication skills.
- 3D CAD modeling (Unigraphics, Pro-E).
- Microsoft Office 2000 Suite or newer (particularly Excel application).
- Professional presence. Enjoy working with people.
- Leadership skills and ability to influence others.
- Skilled in dealing with all levels of staff, production through management.
- Positive approach and attitude toward work.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and employee development skills.
- Ability to work and contribute in a team-oriented, continuous improvement manufacturing environment