Polaris designs, engineers, manufactures and markets off-road vehicles (ORVs), including all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and the Polaris RANGER™, snowmobiles and Victory motorcycles for recreational and utility use and has recently introduced a new on-road electric powered neighborhood vehicle. Polaris is a recognized leader in the snowmobile industry; and one of the largest manufacturers of ORVs in the world. Victory motorcycles, established in 1998 and representing the first all-new American-made motorcycle from a major company in nearly 60 years are making in-roads into the cruiser and touring motorcycle marketplace. Polaris also enhances the riding experience with a complete line of Pure Polaris apparel, accessories and parts, available at Polaris dealerships.
Responsible for leading the design process of components from concept to production in order to achieve the product objectives within a specified time.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Establishes a reasonable project development schedule from concept to production implementation in line with overall business requirements.
2. Supports all design related component styling, purchasing and manufacturing with emphasis on quality, reliability, timely delivery, and cost.
3. Creates component and vehicle specifications to define product performance, quality, and cost.
4. Determines ideal component manufacturing method to ensure overall design, performance, and cost conformance.
5. Determines nature and type of electronic models, detail drawings, and analysis required to support the above and supervises their release through the release cycle.
6. Coordinate, mentor, and supervise designers within team.
7. Prepares preliminary sketches and/or schematic diagrams and/or presentations to aid in the understanding and solution of engineering problems.
8. Conducts design reviews of components and subsystems with design staff and Peer teams.
9. Create test plans and test requests as needed. Coordinate with testing teams to accomplish testing for designs
10. Analyzes field problems and recommends possible solutions.
11. Assists in the preparation of the monthly project status report.
12. Represents the Company at engineering/legal standards conformance meetings; prepares record searches, depositions, site, and vehicle examination reports as required.
13. Determines proper bill of material structure.
14. Performs other miscellaneous project related assignments.
11. Develops data storage and analysis tools on personal computer.
12. Monitors and reports status of test reports.
13. Maintains communication, both written and oral, between test requestors and field test personnel.
14. Reviews problems with individual personnel to determine progress and coordinate necessary test.
15. Performs duties with minimal supervision.
16. Performs other assignments as requested.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
1. Required: B.S.M.E. in Mechanical Engineering
2. 3 years minimum related design experience in an O.E. Environment
3. Required: extensive experience (5,000 hours minimum) Pro-Engineer
4. Experience with one or more of the following vehicle design categories: Engines and associated systems (induction, exhaust, cooling), Chassis design, Suspension systems, Braking systems and wheels, Welded structures, Bolted joints and fasteners, Castings and forgings, Sheetmetal, Electrical component specification and packaging, Accessories.
5. Creation of original specifications for system performance.
6. Expertise in GD&T and tolerance stacks required.
7. Proficient demonstrated use of DFMEA process desired.
8. Superior technical knowledge as demonstrated by academic experience and broad practical experience in vehicle/machine design.
9. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
10. Good strategic vision and business knowledge.
11. Demonstrated ability to lead major process change in a way that enhances overall corporate performance.
12. High level of people skills, able to work in a team environment.
13. Ability to work with domestic and international partners.
14. Microsoft software including Excel, Project, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
15. Familiarity and experience with off road vehicles
1. Fast paced office environment
2. Support manufacturing operations as needed
3. On product evaluations as needed
4. Travel as needed (less than 10%)
Polaris Industries - 2 years ago
A bump in the road is big business for Polaris Industries. The company is one of the world's top makers of off-road...