* Communication: Applicant must possess excellent oral and verbal communications skills. The applicant must be able to professionally interact with co-workers and supervisors in order to convey a high level of technical ideas, procedures, and instructions efficiently and effectively. Effective communication with customers, customer support personnel, and vendors is required.
* Initiative/Follow-Through: Applicant must have excellent self-study skills to develop and maintain an understanding of new technologies, must be self-motivated and be able to work independently with minimal supervision, must be able to work as a team member in a group environment for the completion of design tasks, and must possess the ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects in different stages with a sense of urgency and efficiency.
* Troubleshooting: The applicant must be proficient in debugging and troubleshooting methodologies to re-create and resolve issues during engineering debug efforts.
JOBHOLDER ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
* Education: Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering (or Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or Computer Information Science) required.
* Related Experience: This DVT Engineer is an entry-level which, may include up to 2 years of experience in telecommunications network element testing and test automation.
* Equipment/Software Skills: Experience in the test automation development process, tools (such as ITest, MIB browsers, terminal emulation packages) and languages (such as TCL, Perl or PYTHON). Knowledge of Standard Telecommunications test equipment such as traffic generators, call generators, and the APIs used to automate them is required.
Familiarity with software version control tools and practices as well as common industry test management tools such as Quality Center. Familiarity with L2/L3 network device functionality, configuration, User Interface protocols (TCP/IP, SNMP, DHCP, IGMP, LACP, PPP, PPPoE, etc), and common industry test equipment (N2X, Spirent Test Center / Abacus, IXiA) is required.
Experience in DSLAM, Carrier Ethernet, Next Gen Broadband Network testing (SIP, EoCu, xDSL, EOAM, etc). is preferred.
* Certifications, Licenses, Registrations: CISCO Certification preferred.
* Travel Expectations: Some rare travel is expected for this position.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
* Physical: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to handle, feel, type, and write. The employee in this role is occasionally required to stand; walk, kneel or crouch and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
* Sensory: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to draft, write and enter necessary data for reports, business correspondence, and/or procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present/communicate information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
* Mental/Reasoning: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
The DVT Engineer will be a member of a team responsible for test case generation and implementation, including test case automation and scripting. Test cases will be designed to verify system level functional specifications for advanced telecommunications networks and services.
This DVT Engineer is an entry-level position where the work is primarily focused on the verification of development or improvement of actual products or designs. Assignments are designed to develop professional work knowledge and abilities. Requires ability to perform Engineering tasks for a major project or for projects of moderate complexity with limited direction.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Create new test cases and test beds for verification of Adtran and 3rd party products that provide test coverage of all product requirements.
* Develop and perform manual test execution and test systems from existing test cases or general requirement documents.
* Develop or assist in the development of automated test applications and test systems from existing test cases or general requirement documents.
* Ensure that test applications, test procedures, test systems, and test cases verify system level functional specifications for advanced telecommunications networks and services.
* May work closely with design engineers to develop and automate test procedures, work closely with HW/SW developers to recreate and resolve issues found during testing, and interface with Product Qualification and System Design Verification groups.
* Maintain accurate and up to date test procedure documentation.
* Analyze and interpret, or assist in the analysis of test case results using debug output (CLI debug output, WireShark network traces, equipment level Debug output, etc.) to provide specific failure mechanism information to Design Engineering.
* Analyze or assist in the analysis of problem re-creation results using debug output to provide specific failure mechanism information to Design Engineering.
* May assist in the maintenance and development of automated software stability tests (smoke tests) or other test automation related software within SDVT.
* May train and guide test technicians in performance of test cases.
* May assist in managing offsite testers.
* Prompt and regular attendance is required in order to ensure quality workflow.
* Other projects and assignments may result and be assigned to accommodate the changing needs of the department and the Company.
Adtran - 17 months ago