The Vera Institute of Justice is an independent nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, demonstration projects, and technical assistance to help leaders in government and civil society improve the systems people rely on for safety and justice. The Institute has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans and is active across the United States and internationally. Vera’s work seeks to advance systemic reform and innovation in a range of fields including juvenile justice, sentencing and corrections, immigration, and victimization. For more information about Vera visit www.vera.org or see our page on Facebook.
We are looking for a graphic designer who can uphold the values of Vera’s brand identity, manage the design and production of Vera’s publications, and complete ad hoc print and web design tasks.
Vera’s Communications Department is responsible for all of the Institute’s external communication efforts, including producing publications and audio and video podcasts, maintaining the Institute’s web presence via its website and social media outlets, developing communications campaigns that raise Vera’s visibility and public dialogue around its issues, and interacting with the media. The Communications staff also works closely with the Development Department and key staff to plan events and coordinate internal communications.
This position is ideal for a socially committed designer with substantial project management experience.
The Design and Production Editor will report to the Communications Director and work collaboratively with other communications staff to manage design projects and produce clear and engaging design materials for Vera. Core responsibilities include:
• Work with Communications Director and research and program staff to determine design needs and create production timelines for major projects
• Learn Vera’s brand values and ensure all public materials adhere to identity standards
• Manage simultaneously occurring projects that involve many stakeholders
• Produce various kinds of publications including reports, briefs, and newsletters
• Produce impact marketing materials
• Update stationery as needed
• Conceive of and produce infographics by distilling complex data into easy-to-understand visuals
• Prepare web-optimized graphics for Vera’s website
• Work with printers; adhere to environmentally responsible printing methods
• Occasionally create contracts for and manage freelance designers
• Assist communications, research, and program staff with miscellaneous design-related tasks
• Conduct design-focused skills trainings with research and program staff
Vera seeks a candidate with the following experience and skills:
• Bachelor’s degree and/or graphic design certificate
• Minimum two years of professional graphic design and project management experience
• Proficient in Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop
• Flexibility and ability to work on a number of projects simultaneously under pressure
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with staff on all levels
• Strong organizational and time-management skills and reliable attention to detail
• Strong writing and verbal communications skills
• Experience with PC platform and Microsoft Office programs
• Familiarity with the following a plus:
o Accessible design for people with disabilities
o Environmentally responsible printing methods
o Video editing and production and software
• Interest in criminal and social justice issues
Commensurate with experience; excellent benefits
Please submit cover letter and resume. No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Online submission is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to
ATTN: Human Resources / Design and Production Editor Recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method of submission (online, mail or fax).
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Vera, please visit our website, www.vera.org.
Vera Institute of Justice - 7 months ago