Designer, Food & Wine-13005980
American Express Publishing Corporation is an authoritative content company primed to deliver lifestyle expertise that informs choices, enriches perspectives, and empowers affluent and accomplished people - and the businesses that serve them - to make decisions and lead extraordinary lives. Through the lens of five multi-media brands — Travel + Leisure, Food & Wine, Departures, Executive Travel and Black Ink —content is available in magazines, websites, international editions, custom publications, consumer and business-to-business events, affinity clubs, books, products, and services.
Overview of the Department:
The Designer will report to the Food & Wine brand’s Design Director and be a key part of a 4-person art department. This is a great opportunity to join an accomplished, passionate staff of Designers, Editors and Photo and Production teams in producing print magazine and tablet edits.
Job Description & Responsibilities:
The Designer will contribute to the design of the print magazine and the tablet editions. He/she will design layouts under the direction of the Design Director and Creative Director.
- Translate the majority of the print pages for tablet editions under the direction of the Design Director and Creative Director
- Design front-of-the-book stories for the print magazine under the direction of the Design Director and Creative Director
- Act as the liaison among the Art Department and the Production Department and the Editorial Content Manager for all tablet processes/workflow issues
- Manage the general ebb and flow of tablet layouts through the design and approval process
- See all tablet stories through in their entirety—from concept to completion
- Manage the tablet freelancer
- Communicate color correction needs; mark up color; organize “digital extras” for the tablets
- Collaborate with Editors, the Photo and Production Departments and other Designers during the monthly design and closing cycles of the print magazine and tablets
- Commission illustrations for front-of-the-book stories
- Contribute to art meetings about front-of-the-book stories
All candidates must:
- Have solid editorial design experience on print publications (minimum 2 years) and, ideally, experience designing for tablet
- Experience building tablet interactivity with Woodwing and Adobe DPS tools is preferred
- Have thorough knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator and PhotoShop
- Have excellent type sensibility that’s clearly demonstrated in a strong portfolio
- Be an excellent team player with strong communication skills
- Be a highly organized, proactive self starter
- Be able to work independently with little supervision
- Have a willingness to work the hours necessary to meet deadlines
- Have a strong interest in and appreciation of the brand's subject matter
- A B.F.A. from an accredited design school is required
Primary Location: US-New York-New York
Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for...