POSTING TYPE: Open-Competitive
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology
PREFERRED HIRING RANGE: $42,900 - 46,400 /year (IT 2.1 DBM Level)
FULL SALARY RANGE: $42,900 - 56,900 /year
CLOSE DATE: 4:30 p.m. on Friday, March 1, 2013
The Desktop Specialist's role is to provide a single point of contact for end users to receive support and maintenance within the organization's desktop computing environment. This includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading all PC hardware and Dakota County approved software and equipment to ensure optimal workstation performance. The person will also troubleshoot problem areas (in person, by telephone, by remote desktop, or via e-mail) in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide end-user assistance where required.
• Bachelor's Degree in the field of Computer Science or closely related field and 2 years Desktop Support experience in a Microsoft Windows environment.
• Associate's Degree in the field of Computer Science or closely related field and 4 years Desktop Support experience in a Microsoft Windows environment.
• Or an equivalent combination of education and experience to total 6 years.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS BEYOND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• MCTS Windows 7 or higher Configuring OR
• MCTS Windows 7 or higher and Microsoft Office 2010 or higher, Deployment
Duties & Responsibilities:
These examples do not include all possible tasks in this work and do not limit the assignment of related tasks in any position of this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required for all positions.
Acquisition & Deployment:
1. With direction conduct research on desktop products in support of PC procurement and development efforts.
2. Under direct supervision write technical specifications for purchase of PCs, desktop hardware and related products.
3. With supervision perform onsite analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex desktop problems for end users, and recommend and implement corrective solutions, including offsite repair for remote users as needed.
4. Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end-user workstations and related hardware and software in order to deliver required desktop service levels.
5. With supervision assess the need for and implement performance upgrades to desktop PCs and laptops, including the installation of CPUs, I/O and NIC cards, ribbon cables, hard drives, RAM memory chips, CD-ROMs, and so on.
6. Collaborate with LAN technicians/network administrators to ensure efficient operation of the company's desktop computing environment.
7. With supervision administer and resolve issues with associated end-user workstation networking software products.
8. Receive and respond to incoming calls, pages, and/or e-mails regarding PC problems.
9. Answer to and perform moves, adds, and changes (MAC) requests as they are submitted by line managers.
10. Ensure that physical desktop connections (connectors between PCs, servers, phones, etc.) are in proper working order.
11. With supervision prepare tests applications for monitoring desktop performance, and provide performance statistics and reports.
12. With supervision prepare, maintain, and uphold procedures for logging, reporting, and statistically monitoring desktop operations.
13. Accurately document instances of desktop equipment or component failure, repair, installation, and removal.
14. Provide first level support, on-site or remotely, for videoconference and teleconference equipment and operation.
15. As necessary, liaise with third-party support and PC equipment vendors.
16. Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: 1-15
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities and Work Environment:
• Technical knowledge of PC desktop and laptop hardware, including Dell PCs and laptops, and various Multifunction (MFP) machines that provide (print, copy, fax).
• Technical knowledge of PC internal components, including motherboards, video cards, network cards, disk drives, RAM memory chips, CD-ROMs and power supplies.
• Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience.
• Equipment support experience with Dell PCs and laptops, video monitors, HP Printers, other MFP (print, copier, and fax) devices, video conferencing equipment.
• Understanding of current protocols, operating systems, and standards, including BIOS, Windows XP, Windows 7, TCPIP, VoIP, VMware VDI, various device drivers, and ITIL.
• Ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories.
• Able to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation, and OEM guides.
• Ability to conduct research into PC issues and products as required.
• Effective interpersonal skills and relationship-building skills.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Understanding of the organization's goals and objectives.
• Analytical and problem-solving abilities, with keen attention to detail.
• Self motivated and directed, with the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Strong customer-service orientation.
• On-call availability as assigned.
• Overtime hours may be required to meet project deadlines.
• Sitting for extended periods of time.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, hand and power tools, and to handle other computer components.
SELECTION PROCESS: The examination/selection process for this classification will consist of a rating of your training and experience from the application materials submitted. The top scoring candidates will be forwarded to the hiring department for further consideration.
Dakota County Employee Relations
Main Number 651.438.4435 (contact 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday)
Dakota County - 14 months ago