Desktop Support Technician
REMN is seeking a Desktop Support Technician to provide a primary point of contact for technology support for end users in our Dallas, TX branch offices. The right candidate will provide technology support and maintenance, including installation, diagnostics, repairs, maintenance, and upgrades for all PC hardware, software, and local office equipment to ensure optimal computing performance for all office employees. The Desktop Support Technician will provide support in person, by telephone, or via email, in a timely and effective fashion. The Technician will act as the Dallas extension of the REMN IT team, and will collaborate support efforts with other REMN IT personnel on a daily basis.
Strategy & Planning
- Assist in developing long-term strategies and capacity planning for meeting future desktop hardware needs.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Assist with researching, evaluating, and recommending end-user computing technologies
- Write technical specifications for purchase of office computing products (PCs, laptops, peripherals, printers, scanners, etc.).
- Perform onsite analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex desktop problems for end users, and recommend and implement corrective solutions, including offsite repair for remote users as needed.
- Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end-user workstations and related hardware and software in order to deliver required desktop service levels.
- Assess the need for and implement performance upgrades to PCs, including the installation of CPUs, RAM, hard drives, I/O cards, network cards, etc.
- Collaborate with LAN/WAN technicians and administrators to ensure efficient network communications to the Internet and REMN corporate network.
- Where required, administer and resolve issues with associated end-user workstation networking software products.
- Receive and respond to incoming calls, support tickets, and/or emails regarding desktop problems.
- Perform moves, adds, and changes (MAC) requests as they are submitted by line managers.
- Ensure that local network and telecommunications connections and equipment is in proper working order (network patches, routers, switches, telephone equipment, etc.). Prepare tests and applications for monitoring desktop performance, then provide performance statistics and reports.
- Assist in preparing, maintaining, and upholding procedures for logging, reporting, and statistically monitoring desktop operations.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of all computing equipment (desktops, laptops, monitors, printers, wireless access points, network attached storage, etc.).
- Accurately document instances of desktop equipment or component failure, repair, installation, and removal.
- If necessary, liaise with third-party support and PC equipment vendors.
- Monitor and enforce computing security policies.
Formal Education & Certification
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or 5 years equivalent work experience.
- A+ certifications is a plus.
Knowledge & Experience
- Excellent technical knowledge of desktop and laptop hardware, including PC internals (RAM, hard drives, SATA, Ethernet cards, etc.).
- Familiarity with Macs and mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.) a plus.
- Hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Extensive equipment support experience with all networking components
- Working technical knowledge of current protocols, operating systems, and standards, including Knowledge of virtual machines (VDI), Citrix, VMware.
- Ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories.
- Able to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation, and OEM guides.
- Ability to conduct research into PC issues and products as required.
- Effective interpersonal skills and relationship-building skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to write knowledge articles describing steps to resolve technical problems.
- Ability to accurately log activities in a ticketing system.
- Ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical employees, in a user-friendly language.
- Ability to understand the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities, with keen attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and directed, with the ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- On-call availability for 2 days per month.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, hand and power tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of heavy to moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.