Job Title: Helpdesk Technician
Statement of the Job
This position assists staff with technical support of desktop computers, applications, and related
technology. Support includes specification, installation, and testing of computer systems and
peripherals within established standards and guidelines. Activities require interaction with
application software and operating systems to diagnose and resolve unique, non-recurring
problems. The position utilizes one-on-one consultancy to end users and IT
staff. The employee in this position also assists in the maintenance and testing of network
servers and associated equipment. The positions responsibilities require independent analyses,
communication and problem solving. Work is performed with little supervision and requires
initiative and judgment.
Duties of the Job
computers, peripheral equipment and software within established standards and
- 1. Assists staff with the installation, configuration, and ongoing usability of desktop
computing equipment and software.
- 2. Works with vendor support contacts to resolve technical problems with desktop
resolve problems received from clients.
- 3. Works with Help Desk and Network Operations staff as appropriate to determine and
Ensure desktop computers interconnect seamlessly with diverse systems including
- 4. Interact with numerous computer platforms in a multi-layered client server environment.
associated validation systems, file servers, email servers, computer conferencing
systems, application servers, and administrative systems.
- 5. Trains and orients staff on use of hardware and software.
- 6. Recommends and / or performs upgrades on systems to ensure longevity.
- 7. Works with procurement staff to purchase hardware and software.
- 8. Assesses functional needs to determine specifications for purchases.
- 9. Orders computer supplies.
- 10. Assists in maintaining LAN/WAN records and, as appropriate, telephone systems.