Under immediate supervision, is responsible for processing and handling prisoners incarcerated in the City Detention Center. Creates and maintains files, lists, and other prisoner related information. Exercises no supervision.
Essential Job Functions:
- Processes prisoners brought into the detention facility by assigning them an identification number, entering arrest data into computer, searching them, and securing their personal property.
- Performs procedures necessary for the release of prisoners.
- Restrains belligerent and unruly prisoners using only the necessary degree of force required in a self-disciplined manner.
- Monitors prisoners while they are confined in the holding area of the detention facility.
- Monitors prisoners being screened by medical staff.
- Reviews National Crime Information Center, Texas Crime Information Center, Texas Department of Public Safety (NCIC/TCIC/DPS) databases for criminal histories, warrant records and driving records.
- Updates NCIC/TCIC databases with warrant records and conviction records reported to DPS.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Note: Only female detention guards may search and/or monitor female prisoners, therefore, in some instances, ''sex may be the basis of hiring decisions'' (BFOQ exception to Title VII).
- Graduation from high school or a General Education Development (GED)
- Candidates given a conditional job offer will be required to pass a pre-employment medical examination, psychological evaluation, drug screening, polygraph test, and criminal background check.
- Applicants for this position must pass a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) fingerprint-based background check and maintain CJIS eligibility. Due to CJIS requirements related to system access, the following will result in being disqualified for this position: Felony Convictions, Felony Deferred Adjudication, Class A & B Misdemeanor Deferred Adjudication, Class B Misdemeanor Convictions, an Open Arrest for Any Criminal Offense (Felony or Misdemeanor), and Family Violence Convictions.
- Must be eligible for certification under TCLEOSE (Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education).
- Valid Texas Crime Information Center and National Crime Information Center (TCIC/NCIC) Certification within one (1) year of employment and re-certified yearly.
- Must maintain Texas Law Enforcement Telecommunications System Access
(TLETS) eligibility for continued employment in position (TLETS provides
access to TCIC and NCIC).
- Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 5 pounds.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of prisoner search and restraint techniques.
- Knowledge of prisoner processing and release procedures, to include knowledge of proper codes to input and retrieve information from computer systems.
- Skill in utilizing a personal computer and associated software programs.
- Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate and elicit information from irate and belligerent prisoners.
- Ability to work under pressure, exercise good judgment, and make sound decisions.
- Ability to physically restrain belligerent prisoners.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the general public.
- Ability to perform all the physical requirement of the position.
City of San Antonio - 17 months ago
City of Schertz
City of Schertz
- 3 days ago
City of San Antonio
San Antonio, TX
City of San Antonio
- 7 days ago
When you "Remember the Alamo," don't forget San Antonio! The second-largest Texas city (behind Houston), with a population...