The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 1.3 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 430 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Livingston, Montana and Beijing.
Position Summary :
The Development Associate will be part of the NY Special Projects team and assist in the management of activities related to volunteer and donor groups, and special events, including conferences, fundraisers, cultivation events, and donor trips.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Coordinate and provide logistical support for meetings, conferences, donor events, donor trips, and conference calls
- Draft written correspondence to donors and volunteers including gift acknowledgements, program updates, event materials, and sponsorship documents
- Handle logistics for conference calls, benefits, and donor meetings including booking hotel and meeting rooms, setting up rooms, managing travel for event participants, and working with vendors
- Track and record income and expenses for events
- Draft written materials and departmental correspondence related to gifts and in-kind support documents, conference and event descriptions meeting agendas, event updates, and gift acknowledgements
- Assist with producing marketing materials including invitations, brochures, project descriptions, and sponsorship decks
- Coordinate large mailings and manage event rsvps
- Assist with concept design, themes, and agendas for events and conferences
- Provide support to Senior staff involved in corporate sponsor relationships
- Research corporate prospects and maintain tracking of corporate files
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
- Minimum two to three years relevant non-profit writing, communications, and event planning experience, preferably in the environmental arena
- Bachelor's degree
- Ability to work independently and nimbly under multiple deadlines
- Superior analytical, written and oral communication, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills, with an emphasis on precision and attention to detail
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task
- Windows and Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Internet, Access and overall database software proficiency