EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace.
The Learning and Teaching Division (LTD) has an opening for a Development Director, reporting to the Associate Division Director, in EDC’s headquarters in Waltham.
EDC’s Learning and Teaching Division seeks to improve the quality, effectiveness, and equity of education nationwide. The Division provides client-tailored consultation, effective professional development, rigorous research and evaluation, and innovative learning resources that advance the goals of districts, state departments of education, federal agencies, private foundations, and national organizations. A staff of 350 offers expertise in all content areas, cross-disciplinary and project-based learning, support for English language learners and students with disabilities, and factors that can influence school success.
The Development Director will be a member of the LTD Administration Team, leading divisional business development efforts within the Learning and Teaching Division at EDC. S/he will build an infrastructure within the division that creates an efficient and effective system for bidding on large federal and state opportunities. S/he will be the driver of or major contributor to between eight and ten large federal or state proposals per year. While other smaller-scale or discipline-specific bid and proposal development work will continue across the division, s/he will develop and manage a system for bidding on strategic opportunities that advance the goals of the division as a whole.
The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, partners, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
Key responsibilities :
Building infrastructure for efficient and effective bids
Leading proposal development, drawing on in-house and external expertise
- Carries out business intelligence research to help position the division’s work, including researching and analyzing funding trends among federal and state funders
- Develops depth of understanding of LTD staff and bodies of work, and provides guidance to senior staff writers to develop capacity statements that persuasively represent LTD work
- Organize infrastructure within LTD that promotes strategic and planful proposal development, tapping existing resources and creating tools and templates as needed to ensure production of high-quality, competitive proposals
- Leads an internal LTD team to research and review funding opportunities and select opportunities that advance LTD strategic goals
- Analyzes the technical requirements of RFP to create writing plan and timeline, and determine resources needed for proposal development
- Works closely with senior staff to identify proposal development team and needed subject matter experts
- Develops proposal’s win strategy, theme, and/or technical approach
- Manages proposal development team toward proposal submission, with adherence to timeline and internal review processes, resource requirements, and quality standards
- Writes or adapts selected proposal sections, including capability statements, personnel and management plans, biographical sketches and/or resumes
- Negotiates with partners and reviews their submissions for quality and price
- Works with production/financial team to oversee the final submission
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific requirements:
CONTACT : No phone calls, please
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of training & experience required in a related discipline
- PhD or equivalent in a related discipline desirable
- 10+ years related experience, including track record in development work with evidence of successful proposal development in the domestic education arena
- Track record in winning proposals with multiple funders, including the U.S. Department of Education and the National Science Foundation, with evidence of multiyear, multimillion dollar awards
- Understanding of and experience with government agencies, including their priorities, forecasts, and the requirements of various instruments (e.g., GSA contracts, fixed price contracts, cooperative agreements, grants)
- Fluency with education concepts and trends in mathematics, science and literacy education, K-16 systems, informal education, leadership development, technology and learning
- Proven ability to successfully manage the full proposal development process and maintain proposal quality
- Demonstrated ability to lead, delegate, and work well in a team environment with program staff as well as external partners
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and communication skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and with multiple bid efforts
- Technologically sophisticated with advanced skills in Microsoft Office programs and systems for document sharing and version control
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) and has Affirmative Action Plans for Women and Minorities and for Disabled Workers and Veterans. EDC is a smoke-free workplace.
Education Development Center - 16 months ago