Viget has evolved over the years, and so have our clients. We still work with inspiring start-ups like Bypass Lane and Posterous . This work gives us great insights into the highs and lows of start-up life -- we've had clients quickly become profitable, others have sold to the likes of Twitter and Facebook, and others, unfortunately, have failed to gain traction and have shut down. Having been at it for over 12 years, we've seen it all -- and that variety is part of what makes Viget such an interesting place to work.
It's not all start-ups here. We also work with major companies like National Geographic , PUMA , and Opower , leveraging our start-up approach to help these brands reach millions of customers around the world. This mix of clients is another big draw for our team. Projects can last anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 years, and our team members have a big say in what kinds of clients we take on (e.g., no government contracting). To get a feel for how we think and what we're learning about, check out our code and technology blog or our projects on Github .
We're looking for an experienced technical manager to join our director-level team working from our Falls Church, VA headquarters just outside of Washington, DC.
- Write code. Mostly Ruby on Rails, but you're a true technologist -- you dabble in other things. Our directors are do-ers who keep their edge -- they target 50%+ billable client work.
- Work directly with clients to shape their product strategy and define our technical approach.
- Pair program and review code. We believe that sharing ideas is the best way to deliver maximum value to our clients and to improve as developers.
- Lead our development team as both a mentor and a manager (i.e., manage the professional growth of the team).
- Be the advocate for Viget's dev team both inside and outside the company, helping us continue to build an ideal working environment for our development team.
- Take an active role in shaping Viget's process for building software, working especially closely with our project management group.
- Help recruit, interview, and hire new developers.
- Share knowledge internally and externally via Viget's blogs, by attending and speaking at technical conferences, and generally being active in the development community.
- Work with our senior leadership team, including our founders, to guide the direction of both the development group and the company overall.
How to Apply:
- Have at least 5-10 years of professional experience, including leadership experience.
- Have a bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or information systems (or equivalent experience).
- Have a github account where you can share code you're proud of.
Please send your resume and a thoughtful email that includes specifics about how your previous experience matches our job description. Please include your salary requirements and a link to your github account. This position will be filled at our headquarters office in Falls Church, VA; send your material to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Before you get in touch, learn more about Viget's recruiting and hiring practices by reading blog posts by Emily and Anna . You may also want to peruse our photos , our antics , and our ideas .
Compensation is commensurate with experience. EOE.
So, knock our socks off already.