The Development Department is responsible and leads all fundraising for IAVA, raising revenue from individual donations, foundation grants, special events, corporate contributions and sponsorships, and earned income. The Development Intern will have a unique opportunity to gain experience in both sides of development – foundations and individual giving – and to work one-on-one with professional staff experienced in both fields. The Development Intern will report to the Development Director.
The Development Intern will:
The Development Intern should possess:
- Have the opportunity to learn about the fundraising process, from individual donors, institutional partners, major US foundations and major corporations.
- Develop skills in researching prospective foundations and individual donors.
- Learn how to, and assist in, the drafting of: proposals, reports, donor cultivation letters, thank you letters, and other donor communications.
- Get hands on learning in the planning and production of fundraising events as well as assist with scheduling for development travel.
- Learn critical fundraising, marketing and administrative skills applicable in both the for-profit and non-profit sectors, while contributing to meaningful social change.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Personal qualities such as: sensitivity, flexibility, and a good sense of humor.
- Computer and software knowledge, including MS Office. Experience in working with databases and mail merge will also be beneficial.
- Salesforce experience is a plus.
Iraq Afghanistan Veterans of America - 14 months ago