California Institute of Technology
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The Development Officer at Caltech is responsible for effectively representing the California Institute of Technology in key regions and in academic divisions to secure individual contributions of $100K to $1M+. Working closely with a dynamic Development and Institute Relations (DIR) team, the Development Officer is expected to expand the donor base, create effective engagement pipelines for new and existing major gift donors, and develop a greater Caltech presence.
We seek individuals having a deep interest in science, who are highly self motivated, forward-thinking, committed to teamwork as well as individual achievement. The Development Officer will develop and maintain a portfolio of 100-150 major donor prospects, and will carry out strategic cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of these donors in conjunction with faculty and senior development leadership.
- Develop regional and academic expertise and coordinate strategy across DIR to meet short-term and long-term fundraising goals, specifically manage close relationship with major donors and major gift prospects for solicitations ranging from $100K to $1M+.
- Familiarize and develop understanding of key campus programs and priorities in order to match donor's interest to campus needs.
- Coordinate with development colleagues and faculty leaders as appropriate to create effective regional and campus engagement opportunities to deepen donor's relationship with Caltech.
- Move donors in a quality driven, strategic visits to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors to successfully close gifts (approximately 100-150 annual face to face visits and ten or more major gift solicitations expected.)
- With members of the DIR staff, assist in the coordination of special events including donor recognition and cultivation events in identification of potential guests, pre and post-event donor cultivation and solicitation.
- Utilize and update the donor database by recording activities and contacts with individuals on an ongoing basis. Provide written materials, including prospect briefings, donor acknowledgements, and proposals as needed.
- Assist with long-range planning for the department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent with at least 4 years of relevant development experience.
- Proven fundraising experience in major gift fundraising, preferably in higher education, and in cultivating and soliciting prospects capable of five- and six-figure gifts.
- Ability to communicate effectively with top-level donors and senior Caltech administrators.
- Solid relationship-building skills with desire and ability to cultivate and solicit donors in face-to-face meetings.
- Ability to prioritize work, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, organizational and analytical skills, with solid attention to detail.
- Valid driver's license for travel, local and national.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software, including Excel, PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with internet to research comparisons for programs and projects related to science and technology to enhance donor proposals.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Professionalism, maturity, and an ability to work with confidential information.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: jobs.caltech.edu
- Familiarity with Millennium, or similar fund-raising databases.
- Agility in adapting to change in a fast-paced working environment.
Caltech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
Copyright ©2012 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency