The Development Officer, Special Events , under the direction of the Director, Corporate Relations and Special Events, performs event management for Joslin’s four signature events and is also responsible for managing other special events projects for Joslin throughout the year. Responsibilities will include producing detailed event work plans (with timelines and deliverables), budget management, volunteer management, fundraising (with a focus on auction, ticket and donation revenue) and coordinating all logistics for the successful completion of assigned fundraising events, programs and activities.
In addition, the Development Officer is expected to collaborate across the development and communications departments in the recruitment and continued cultivation of event participants and the coordination of public relations campaigns for signature events. The Development Officer, Special Events role is critical to the effort within the department, throughout the organization and the general public to help create and maintain a professional, ethical, cooperative reputation for Joslin’s fundraising efforts.
The High Hopes Fund team is responsible for generating unrestricted and restricted revenue for Joslin Diabetes Center. Joslin produces 4 annual signature events: A Spoonful of Ginger, Evening at Pops, ritmos de salud and High Hopes Gala.
- In conjunction with the Director of Corporate Relations and Special Events, coordinate all aspects of the Joslin’s signature events program including developing event management plans and event budgets, fundraising plans (with a focus on auction, ticket and donation revenue) and volunteer management plans.
- Develop strategic project management plans for each signature event. Plans should focus on event purpose and audience and detail event goals, program content and execution strategies.
- Manage a small portfolio of prospects to solicit for event support.
- Help develop strategies and timelines for event solicitation mailings, follow up calls and face-to-face visits pertaining to auction, ticket and donation revenue.
- Manage budgets for signature events and other special event projects. This will include working under the direction of the Director of Corporate Relations and Special Events around negotiation of contracts for event vendors.
- Act as a direct liaison for event volunteers. This will include staffing event planning committee meetings, managing volunteer expectations and developing strategies to recruit and engage volunteers as effectively as possible (i.e. Help to make volunteers “ambassadors” for Joslin to help friendraise and fundraise.)
- Work with Joslin Communications Department to establish a strategic public relations plan for the signature events program with the goal of increasing media exposure and future branding opportunities for the High Hopes Fund/Joslin.
- Work with Joslin Communications Department and contracted print/design vendors to develop event marketing materials. This includes, but is not limited to, developing event invitations, sales sheets, website collateral, program and auction booklets, event program outlines and talking pointers for Joslin senior management and volunteer leadership.
- Organize and manage volunteers, directing them on specific duties during planning stages of the events and during the event while acting as liaison to venue staff.
- Act as on-site manager at all signature events.
- Coordinate and help to execute event follow up and stewardship plans.
- Continuously refresh event offerings to keep people engaged and attending these events. Create and maintain master calendar of cultivation events and other institutional events to determine appropriateness for use as cultivation opportunities.
- In addition to Joslin signature events, plan and deliver nationwide cultivation/appreciation events and other special event projects with the intention of bringing Joslin donors across the country closer to the institution and encouraging giving at higher levels.
- Perform other duties related to events at Joslin Diabetes Center as required.
- Create and produce highly skilled power point presentations in support of the solicitation and stewardship efforts of the Director, Corporate Relations and Special Events.
- Bachelor’s degree in Sales, Marketing or a related field.
- Five years plus of special event management, professional fundraising knowledge, and direct experience planning and executing large scale events.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills are essential;
- Ability to initiate and organize work, establishes priorities in a time sensitive environment, and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Professional demeanor
- Working knowledge of moves management for use in cultivating relationships and furthering financial commitments among donors.
- Proven skills Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as ability to use fundraising databases.
Joslin is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minority/Female/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans
Joslin Diabetes Center - 7 months ago