Position Title: Development Officer I
Department: Constituent Programs
Division: College of Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance
Reports To: Assistant Dean for Development
The Development Officer I will strategically execute a personal solicitation program resulting in philanthropic support by maximizing the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospects and donors for The Florida State University. This individual will secure, on an annual basis, private support up to the $100,000 level and will be responsible for identification of potential major gift prospects. The incumbent will be expected to uphold and exemplify the operating practices and mission of the Foundation.
- Works with the Dean, the Assistant Dean for Development, and the other members of the College’s development, communication and alumni team to develop and execute strategic fundraising initiatives on behalf of the College, the University and the Foundation.
- Develops, coordinates and executes an annual major gift plan of the assigned college, implementing fund-raising activities designed to meet an established monetary goal.
- Establishes new relationships resulting in philanthropic revenue, maintains existing relationships which may generate new philanthropic revenue, and provides prospect/donor-related assessments and feedback for the College of Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance and the FSU Foundation.
- Identifies, qualifies and sustains a donor prospect portfolio with individuals who have a giving capacity of $100,000 or more.
- Secures gifts and pledges from alumni, parents, faculty, staff and friends of FSU.
- Coordinates with central development staff and other cross-functional team members to identify prospects and develop team solicitation plans for planned giving, corporate and foundation relations and principal gifts
- Exhibits and promotes a comprehensive understanding of the philanthropic priorities of the college unit(s), effectively matching the specific interests of prospects to those specific needs
- Assists in the facilitation of meetings, communications, informational exchanges and project/philanthropic coordination with the faculty and faculty chairs
- Plans for and initiates direct activities with prospects that are designed to enhance the affiliation between the prospect and the University
- Negotiates gift agreements, prepares and presents proposals
- Prepares correspondence with prospects and documents communications, solicitation activity and gift information in compliance with Foundation reporting guidelines
- Creates, inspires and maintains donor loyalty, interest and enthusiasm through stewardship communication and activities designed to express recognition, appreciation and the impact of their gift(s). Implementation of such a stewardship plan may include but should not be limited to letters, communication of unit or university initiatives, invitations to appropriate activities, meetings, events, student engagement or the facilitation of campus visits
- Assists in the management of all volunteer boards associated with the College of Law
- Effectively communicates organization’s mission and represents the organization’s culture to external stakeholders
- Protects confidential information
Education & Experience
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of one year of professional experience in major gift development in a university setting; Experience in a related field with basic knowledge of personal solicitation methods may also be considered
- Demonstrated, progressive experience in seeking financial support for multi-million dollar programs or initiatives preferred
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office products suite
- Must be conversant with FSU alumni, faculty and staff members with similarly qualified educational backgrounds
- A self-starter, comfortable working independently
- Professional demeanor
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities
- Careful attention to detail
- Ability to work autonomously outside of the central office
- Ability to maintain consistent and positive communication with the Dean and Foundation
- Excellent communication skills to include effective and persuasive writing, public speaking and interpersonal skills
- Facilitate strong communications with alumni, including letters, surveys and telephone solicitation programs
- Team work approach and a can-do, tenacious philosophy
- Creative thinking and a recognition of the impact of meaningful stewardship
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Exert up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time
- Bend body downward and forward by bending legs and spine, so as to crouch or stoop.
- Extend hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Seize, hold, grasp, turn or otherwise work with hands.
- Pick, pinch or otherwise work primarily with fingers.
- Express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Perceive the nature of sounds, receive detailed information through oral communication, made discriminations in sounds
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less.
- Ability to judge distances and spatial relationships so as to see objects where and as they actually are.
- Adjustment of lens of eye to bring an object into sharp focus.
- Ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the right or left while eyes are fixed on a given point.
The individual in this position will encounter a work environment as described below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- General office environment
- Lighting is adequate
- Temperature is regulated and moderate
- Low likelihood of unavoidable hazardous conditions
- Moderate noise
- Moderate dust
- Standard technology and office equipment accessible
- Automobile and airplane travel
INSIGHT Into Diversity - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard