Earthjustice is the original environmental law organization, built on the belief that we all have a right to a healthy environment. We fight, using the power of the law to preserve, protect, and promote a healthier, more sustainable world for everyone. Through far-reaching, big-impact litigation, we ensure that those who jeopardize the health of the planet are held accountable to the law. We work tenaciously to preserve our natural heritage, safeguard our health, and promote a clean energy future.
Earthjustice has nine regional offices, an international program, and legislative policy and communications advocacy teams. We hire the best and brightest who share our passion for justice and a healthy environment for all people.
The Development Research Analyst works within the Development Operations team under the supervision of the Manager of Data Services & Research. The analyst supports Major Gifts, Foundations, Planned Giving, Intermediate Giving, Public Support, Donor Relations & Engagement, and Executive efforts. The analyst partners with development staff on ways to identify, cultivate, and track appropriate prospects
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Database and Research Tools
- Provide timely prospect identification and detailed research and analysis of prospects specific to fundraising objectives (donor visits, events, solicitations, etc.).
- Provide clear and professionally written materials on donors and prospects for the organization.
- Review and analyze large volumes of information from news resources; financial and philanthropic reports; reference materials (both printed and electronic); and organization files.
- Research and synthesize biographic and financial information on individuals and foundations to create research profiles that pertain to the organization's fundraising objectives.
- Work with the Directors and Gift Officers on internal and external prospecting research projects as needed.
- Provide proactive and ongoing identification of individuals with capacity, interest and inclination to make major gifts to the organization.
- Participate in development strategy meetings, providing prospect information as needed.
- Collaborate with development staff to provide information important to the development of qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies.
- Periodically review with the Directors Gift Officers, the team’s development research needs and adapt research efforts accordingly.
- Serve as a resource on donor and prospect research, research tools and methods for entire development department and executive staff.
- Perform complex analyses and organize information to identify philanthropic patterns, affinity, and relationships among individuals and foundations.
- Develop proactive prospecting methodologies to support organizational goals, including data mining and sophisticated constituent database queries.
- Collaborate with Development staff on donor screenings and ratings and develop strategic direction on the use of analytic data in the identification of prospective donors.
- Provide formal and informal training on research methods, research tools, research technologies, information sources, and the donor database features.
- Review the accuracy of electronic records and other organization information on prospects, and facilitate changes and additions as needed.
- Stay abreast of fundraising trends and issues, maintaining knowledge of available training and educational opportunities to develop necessary skills. Identify and evaluate new paid and free research resources and make recommendations as to their usefulness to the organization’s development research needs.
- Maintain research records on-line and in hard-copy files.
- Participate and assist in special wealth and predictive modeling screening projects. Assist gift officers and Development teams in the utilization of this research.
- Perform other duties and staff special projects as needed.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Diversity is highly valued.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience as research analyst, preferably in a fundraising environment.
- Experience with Blackbaud eCRM, the Raiser’s Edge or similar fundraising database.
- Experience using ResearchPoint or similar fundraising research and analysis tools.
- Demonstrated analytical skills related to complex donor research.
- Demonstrated ability to develop proactive prospect research methodologies in support of Development strategic efforts.
- Knowledge of techniques and methodologies of donor research using traditional print and online sources with particular focus on the special requirements of donor/prospect research.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Outstanding ability to think strategically, analytically and creatively.
- Ability to work successfully in teams and under own initiative, to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, and to meet deadlines efficiently.
- Strong customer service orientation and follow-through.
- Ability to work with highly sensitive, confidential information.
Interested candidates should submit a resume along with cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Development Research Analyst” in the subject line.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.