This position represents Novo Nordisk within an assigned territory with the goal of maximizing sales and positioning Novo Nordisk as the leading company in diabetes care. The DCS must assume responsibility for achieving sales goals by implementing marketing and sales strategies aimed at effectively selling and promoting Novo Nordisk's portfolio of diabetes products to physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and other paramedical customers and current co-promotion partners who make or are involved in purchasing and prescribing decisions. This position also determines and recommends the most appropriate Novo Nordisk product and approved usage for the needs of the customers.
Internally, the DCS reports to the District Business Manager of the specific sales territory. The DCS also interacts and collaborates on a regular basis with other field-based employees covering the same geographic areas, particularly the territory partner. Externally, the DCS maintains relationships with physicians, pharmacists, nurses and other paramedical customers and current co-promotion partners.
Sell and promote Novo Nordisk's portfolio of diabetes products with a focus on targeted and non-targeted primary care physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and other members of patients' primary care team:
Identify, develop, maintain, and leverage relationships with physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and other individuals who make or influence purchasing/prescribing decisions:
- Develop a customized approach for each call on each customer to assess customer needs and increase sales of Novo Nordisk's products.
- Effectively utilize all available resources to sell and promote Novo Nordisk's products, including determining which resources to use in any given situation.
- Explain and promote features and benefits of Novo Nordisk's portfolio of products, with an emphasis on which products are best suited for particular patient profiles or circumstances.
- Read and react to customer environment. Determine appropriate messages to achieve maximum effect on each sales call.
- Probe and listen to customers, including anticipating and responding to customers' questions, objections, and concerns.
Develop and maintain a mastery of product knowledge and consultative promotion techniques:
- Evaluate and determine which individuals have greatest opportunity to impact sales and use personalized communication techniques to build and maintain effective relationships with those individuals.
- Analyze and leverage understanding of the patient profiles of targeted and non-targeted physicians in the territory and how those profiles impact territory sales.
- Leverage understanding of impact of managed care in the territory and how it affects physicians' prescribing decisions, and adjust sales and marketing strategies accordingly.
Actively contribute to the overall sales goals of the Company and its Sales/Marketing Departments:
- Educate physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other members of patients' primary care team on diabetes and the use of Novo Nordisk's products, including the approved uses and benefits of Novo Nordisk's products for their patients.
Effectively manage and prioritize time and available resources to achieve maximum sales in the local territory:
- Provide recommendations towards sales and marketing solutions based on understanding and evaluation of trends, dynamics, customer needs, and competitors' products or services.
- Partner with the Novo Nordisk Sales/Marketing Departments to maximize appropriate and effective use of selling materials and product information.
- Participate in and contribute to sales and marketing meetings, training programs, conventions and displays as appropriate.
- Record notes of calls, including products discussed, key issues and concerns addressed, sales aids utilized, samples distributed, and any other information that will ensure maximum effectiveness for future sales calls.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Effectively manage and prioritize time to ensure maximum customer penetration and sales volume with limited supervision.
- Evaluate, identify, and develop order of calls and routes that maximize the opportunity to call on targeted customers.
- Manage discretionary budget to support sales and additional marketing activities.
- Analyze, determine, and implement most effective distribution of product samples in territory.
Location US - Field Based - Across US
- Proven leadership and decision-making ability.
- At least one year pharmaceutical sales experience or at least one year B2B sales required.
- Bachelor Degree from College or University accredited by an organization recognized by the US Department of Education. Advanced degree preferred.
- Top 20% sales ranking for 1 out of last 2 years in a sales role, documented (Regionally or Nationally) ~ Or equivalent documentation for B2B candidates
- Solid understanding of diabetes disease state and Novo Nordisk's products is needed, coupled with aptitude for learning and ability to communicate technical and scientific product and disease management information.
- Must have a consistent proven track record of winning sales results.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to evaluate options and make decisions on your own with minimal supervision.
- Intermediate computer skills required (Windows, Word, Excel).
- Prior computer experience using sales data/call reporting software ideal.
Bachelor's Degree Required
Travel 0 - 10%