The Digital Studio Operations Manager is responsible for leading the day-to-day operations of the Digital Media Center, with concentrated focus on ensuring optimal staff / technical resource scheduling, allocation and utilization, cost and operational effectiveness and efficiency, as well as execution and delivery excellence of work product across a growing and diverse set of predominantly digital, file-based operations, workflows and services. This position will be responsible for ensuring that the Digital Media Center technical team operates as a well organized, secure, and consistently timely and accurate world-class digital media services operation committed to measuring results and continuous process improvement.
The Digital Media Center is a key component of Disney Digital Studio Services (DDSS) and functions as part of the Walt Disney Studio’s Studio Operations organization. DDSS provides on-the-lot services to primarily internal Disney customers and stakeholders across a wide portfolio that includes sound post production services, projection services in on-lot screening rooms and theaters and for off-lot events, domestic and international marketing / trailer editorial finishing services, picture and sound editorial and filmmaker-focused room rental services, archive film recording, localization graphics services, and a number of digital, file-based media offerings.
Enable and Oversee Reliable Best-In-Class Digital Media Operation:
Keep the team engaged motivated, and committed to performing at their highest potentials, ensure that service orders are completed on-time, on-budget, with proper quality controls, and that the group’s customers are being adequately serviced. Address and proactively communicate issues associated with any of the group’s outstanding service orders, and develop and document standard operating procedures. Balance throughput, resources, and schedules to achieve optimal performance, identify and actively manage bottle-neck resources across workflows, ensure that content protection and content security practices are adequately addressed.
Proactive Partnering with Clients Services, Customers/Stakeholders and Technology Team:
Engage in regular, frequent, meaningful and effective communications with Client Services team so that clear operations requirements, feedback and knowledge are passed back directly to the customer service team in an ongoing way. In addition, provide timely updates and set clear delivery expectations so client service can keep clients/stakeholders informed of delivery progress, costs and effectiveness. Engage in regular, frequent, meaningful and effective communications with Technology and Engineering teams to provide ongoing dialogue that relates to the technical current or future state of the facility, address any engineering issues, discrepancies or exceptions and create a harmonious mutually respectful working relationship. In addition, partner with both client services and technology to drive and address future client or industry needs and solutions. Furthermore, actively build direct personal relationships with clients and stakeholders and their teams to ensure that you and your team can be seen as effective, active listeners, feedback seekers and the source of solid and reliable technical and workflow advice and guidance.
Review Organizational Efficiency, and Process Improvement Opportunities:
Actively create and review reports and provide input and briefing to DDSS leadership with regard to operational effectiveness and efficiency. Create, track and resolve any open issues related to discrepancies, exceptions or operational delivery. Champion and drive ISO process and other continual process improvement opportunities for efficient workflow and cost reduction across Digital Media Center, Studio Operations and its client/stakeholders. Actively and regularly communicate metrics and create expectations for delivery measurement such that all members of operations team understand expectations and where current work product is in relation to measured goals and expectations.
Provide Active Coaching, Feedback and Training:
Establish active, regular and ongoing coaching to the operations staff as well as create an environment for feedback from the teams and the ability for them to directly provide ideas and opportunities for workflow, operations or client servicing improvements. In addition, create ongoing training and review of current operational procedures and engage team in design and honing of new and existing workflows. Furthermore, provide continual skills enhancement training on technology within the facility as well as training on skills related to project tracking, management and technical background. Seek experts from both within the company and the industry to engage in training. Provide opportunities for staff to provide input into meaningful skills and training topics and areas which can advance team goals and results.
Work directly with HR partners to establish framework for providing coaching and feedback to union employees and maintain an ongoing way to evaluate progress of staff with regard to their effectiveness, efficiency and skills.
• 5 -7 years experience in a professional capacity in related areas of expertise (e.g., post production or studio facility technical operations with deep knowledge of digital media tools, techniques and services within the media and entertainment industry)
• Experience in managing technical staff, facilities and digital operations with deep knowledge and experience in best practices for delivery of file-based workflows and services
• Knowledge of past, current and next generation industry approaches to production, picture and sound post production, animation, mastering, file-based asset creation and Quality Assurance workflows including current industry technical initiatives such as IMF and ACES
• Up-to-date technical knowledge in digital media tools and technologies
• Understanding of physical and digital security requirements for digital operations/
• Experience in communicating, building and creating a culture of pro-active, effective content security within the operations staff and facility
• Familiarity with the requirements of Theatrical Motion Picture Studio-centric, production, post production, marketing and distribution process
• Ability to anticipate and respond to client requirements in a pro-active, timely, cooperative and thorough manner
• Experience balancing customer needs with business strategy and fiscal responsibility
• Exhibit superior verbal and written communication skills
• Superior ability to work with engineering and technology teams to communicate operational needs and seek input, advice and support
• Able to gain consensus among several stakeholders across a large organization
• Possess excellent analytical skills and strong focus on business results and operational efficiency
• Able to honestly assess organization’s strengths and weaknesses on a regular basis, and develop strategies accordingly
• Able to articulate clear vision and goals, and identify strategies and initiatives to achieve those goals
• Experience using metrics to measure performance and identify areas for operational improvement (experience with six sigma, ISO 9001, or other process monitoring and improvement methodology a plus)
• Able to set both long term strategic and short term tactical goals for the organization
• Able to proactively identify potential human resources and participate in the creation and continuous development of required skills and knowledge with the operations team
Disney - 14 months ago