The Director of litigation oversees all litigation management related to workers’ compensation claims. This person will manage all areas relating to workers’ compensation claims in all core states, including CA, IL, NV, FL, NC & SC. This person will be responsible for the oversight and management of technical work product and all other related litigation management programs.
• Oversees management of all legal issues related to the technical product for the Workers’ Compensation line of business for CA, IL, NV, FL, & NC & SC.
• Manages/supervises 6 or more employees within the Litigation Management Team.
• Directs the management team in the handling of legal issues related to workers’ compensation claims to ensure that they are handled in compliance with best practice expectations and applicable state laws.
• Monitors claim/task volume to adjust staffing needs as necessary.
• Submits cases exceeding own authority with comments to the claims V.P.
• Improves quality of litigation management within the organization through development training, mentoring, and setting performance expectations.
• Monitors audit results to identify areas of weakness and develops required training to improve performance of the team as it relates to litigation management.
• Manages WC Litigation Management programs, including team of Hearing Representatives, Attorneys, and support staff.
• Organizes team workloads, assigns projects and manages resources and results.
• Sets performance expectations, team and individual goals and timelines in alignment with Department goals.
• Provides regular feedback and coaching to team members.
• Mentors and develops team members to further their skills and knowledge; creates and monitors development plans.
• Prepares and conducts performance evaluations.
• Hires and develops employee, and prepares disciplinary actions (including terminations).
• Performs quality audits of all in-house and outsourced work on a consistent basis.
• Oversees operational expenditures for Litigation management.
• Approves direct report’s expense reports and payment of allocated claims expenses beyond their authority.
• Monitors defense panel to assure the quality and the outcome of their services.
• Works closely with the V.P. of Claims to manage the department budget relating to Litigation Management.
• Gathers data and analyzes / interprets results for all areas of Litigation management
Requires a minimum of 10 years experience as a workers’ compensation attorney, advanced understanding of Workers’ Compensation Claims principles and application. Strong understanding of personnel and performance strategies. Experience creating and implementing department wide strategies and initiatives.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical journals, financial reports, or legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
ICW Group - 17 months ago