The main objective of this position involves managing science as well as strategic, organizational and administrative activities that underpin successful operation of the in vitro pharmacology department and advancement of drug candidates into development. Has experience as a scientific manager: supervises other scientific staff, sets objectives, conducts periodic reviews and manages lab units, prepares budgets, monitors data quality, and communicates at high levels in the company. Serves as a key contributor and possible initiator & leader of drug discovery programs/projects. Contributes to and oversees designs of new/modified experimental procedures or technologies as needed or appropriate. Accomplishes results through subordinate supervisors or Senior Scientific and Research track employees, but also leads by example via personal accountability and ownership of key objectives. May also conduct laboratory experiments when required, based on technical expertise and resource demands. Has an in depth knowledge of GPCR pharmacology and related drug discovery disciplines and their interrelationship to advancing drug candidates. Researches, suggests and evaluates new target areas. Is accountable for developing and/or directing a skill base and influencing organizational structure within areas of responsibility. Non-scientific accountabilities may include but are not limited to performance management, budgets, and developing and directing a skill-base that is aligned with departmental objectives.
- Supervise lab units of in vitro pharmacology group in the advancement of drug candidates into development. Supervision includes new materials design, imaging studies, in-vitro pharmacology (FLIPR- based, other lab instrumentation aimed at receptor signaling and trafficking, and binding assays), and high-information content assays and pharmacological quantification of results.
- Design, plan and monitor research and laboratory activities within areas of responsibility and actively assist, or provide technical direction to subordinates as required.
- Set and monitor periodic and annual objectives for the work group and individuals within.
- Keep abreast of current state of the art methods of drug discovery biological assessments and related drug discovery disciplines as well as their interrelationship and participate in the external scientific peer-review process of publication and presentation.
- Provide input in establishment and resourcing research projects and form healthy alliances with other departments in and outside of discovery research.
- Administer budgets, hiring, timelines and performance measures to achieve the objectives for the department of Drug Discovery
- Serve on the Research Operations Committee and other managerial committees as appropriate.
Ph.D. with 10+ years industry research experience or academic equivalent.
Required Experience & Technical Requirements
Purdue Pharma L.P. and its associated U.S. companies are known for pioneering research on the principal cause of human suffering: chronic pain. Headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, it is one of the fastest-growing pharmaceutical companies in the world today. Purdue Pharma has led the battle against inadequate treatment of pain by developing long-acting pain-control medications that are prescribed by healthcare professionals around the world. As the sponsor of Partners Against Pain, the company provides community outreach and educational programs to encourage the therapeutic alliance of patients, their families, caregivers, and healthcare professionals.
- GPCR pharmacology, past, present & future directions based on literature study, peer relationships, publications, and meeting attendance.
- Knowledge of modern instrumentation needed to conduct research in the GPCR field.
- Drug development process including PKDM and drug safety as applied to evaluation of lead compound selection.
- Scientific judgment and accurate assessment of degree of difficulty, time-required, and cost for given tasks.
- Pain management limitations and opportunities to create innovations that have competitive advantages.
- Familiarity with anatomical & physiological elements of pain signaling including ion channel biology and the current state of the art.Brief Description/Overview:
Benefits: Purdue offers a wide range of competitive benefits to all full-time employees. Our benefit package includes a variety of benefit programs to provide for the health, welfare and financial security of our employees and their families.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce, M/F/D/V. Corporate standards require pre-employment drug testing and background investigation.
If you are interested in a specific open position, you must apply online by visiting our website at www.purduepharma.com. No hard copy resumes will be considered.