Job Description Summary
The Director, Business Development plays a key role in revenue generation by implementing BEEE’s strategy in the global marketplace. This role proactively generates new global business in line with BEEE strategy by building relationships with not only start-up, high growth, and mature multinational companies, but also foundations, universities, and other partners; ensures that requests from prospective clients and partners are dealt with professionally, effectively, and appropriately; and interacts with faculty directors, faculty members, and BEEE team members to develop proposal content, influence program approach/content, and insure effective development and delivery of programs.
Relationship and Project Management:
- Continually scans marketplace and considers client needs in identifying new opportunities and topics for programs and services
- Prepares proposals for new business within both new and established accounts and pitches new proposals to prospective clients and partners.
- Closes sales, including presentation of proposals, agreements, and insures transition to program management function.
- Collaborates with the leadership team to establish and build current and future market opportunities.
- Collaborates with the Associate Dean, Enterprise Program to develop and sell new Open Enrollment offerings for global markets.
- Develops relationships with major targets within the global market and establishes and maintains contact with key segments of identified market.
- Works to expand service BEEE offerings outside of the existing services portfolio such as integrating distance learning in pre- and post- program activities or as standalone solutions.
- Plans and conducts sales calls with faculty and other members of BEEE staff, as appropriate.
- Works closely with the Marketing team to ensure consistent and appropriate messaging regarding enterprise and custom programs and to help create effective marketing strategies and tactics to support global growth.
- Fully understands costing and pricing models for profitability. Collaborates with Associate Dean, Enterprise Programs and Associate Dean BEEE to insure pricing meets profitability hurdles; negotiates and executes contracts; and manages multiyear contracts to insure appropriate price increases are established.
- Oversees and takes responsibility for maintaining the quality of the overall client relationships on his/her account list.
- Fosters and solidifies long term relationships with current and prospective clients
- Manages existing business portfolio and proactively seeks expansion of business in that portfolio
- Functions as relationship manager and key liaison between client and faculty director
- Works closely and collaboratively with program support team and Faculty Directors to create and manage client programs, provide operational oversight on all content and program design to address customer needs to guarantee appropriate curriculum development and delivery of programs.
- Identifies, coordinates, and prepares appropriate select resources from within and outside of the Babson community to design, develop, and deliver programs.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with internal and external service stakeholders to ensure efficient, top quality delivery of services.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as required.
Minimum Level of Education Required Bachelor’s Degree ( MBA Preferred)
Minimum Level of Experience Required 5-7
Ability to travel internationally as required to identify,,develop, and sustain client and partner relationships
Additional Required Skills & Abilities
Relationship and Project Management:
- Experience selling intangible/conceptual products
- Highly consultative with strong problem solving abilities to conduct needs analysis in determining client needs and program designs
- Financially literate in understanding pricing models and hurdles for profitability
- Results oriented and achievement driven
- Ability to “close” client opportunities using strong selling, negotiation, and presentation skills
- Understanding of leadership, entrepreneurship and other training programs
- Understanding of how to use marketing function in the service of business development
- Knowledge/experience of human resource function and dealing with other senior leaders i.e. c-suite executives
Technical & Communication Skills
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills with particular emphasis on listening skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, working with executives, entrepreneurs, faculty, foundation directors, and operations team
- Strong process and project management skills
- Collaborative in working within an environment with several handoffs to complete projects
- Excellent oral, written, and telephone communication skills
- Fluency in other languages a plus
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)