Novelis is the world’s premier producer of rolled aluminum and the global leader in aluminum recycling. Drawing on our expertise, commitment to innovation and world-leading technology, we deliver sustainable solutions for the most demanding applications, including automobiles, beverage cans, architecture and consumer electronics. Much of our aluminum is re-created from material already in the world today, saving natural resources and allowing for the creation of consumer products that have a lower environmental footprint. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, Novelis North America, one of the company’s four regional headquarters, has 9 plants in the United States and Canada, approximately 3,100 employees and annual revenues of $3.4 billion (Fiscal Year 2013), which is more than one third of global Novelis revenues.
Managing a multi-million dollar budget, the Communications Director will lead the development and execution of strategic programs in Novelis North America (NNA); to drive profitable growth by raising the profile of Novelis among external stakeholders (customers, suppliers, recruits, communities, public officials and industry thought leaders); and among internal stakeholders to strengthen our “One Novelis” culture and foster greater employee engagement.
The position also reports to the SVP and President, NNA and also to the VP Communications and Government Affairs. The role is based in Atlanta; and the job holder will partner with the NNA senior management team to translate business objectives into communications plans.
Specifically, the Director will develop strategies to elevate the Novelis brand in North America to make it commensurate with our industry leading position in flat rolled aluminum products and used beverage can recycling. The Director will be responsible for leading the strategic development and implementation of comprehensive programs to drive our NNA growth strategy; specifically in the commercial areas of automotive, can, specialties, light gauge and recycling.
In Government Affairs, the Director should have expertise in government relations and agency management, with the ability to provide leadership for the broader Novelis team to advance Novelis’ business interests among public officials. Public affairs and promotional efforts include raising the profile of our sustainability and recycling initiatives, and representing the company within the aluminum industry and with associations.
The Director will guide the work of the Internal and External Communications Managers of Novelis North America in key communications competencies including: Executive Communications, Media Relations, Corporate Social Responsibility; Novelis 2.0 (ERP system), Sustainability, EHS, Crisis Communications; One Novelis Culture and Employee Engagement
Importantly, the Director will ensure that all initiatives are aligned with the Novelis brand identity and successfully delivered through various Communications channels. The Director must have the ability to build and lead a high performing, dynamic Communications team;
Some of the areas of accountability for the roles are:
- Maintain organization policies and procedures, hiring standards, training criteria, and performance evaluation
- Participate with Regional management team
- Develop a culture that is positive and promotes engagement while maintaining an appropriate balance with respect to accountability
nd avert risks.
- For each new FY, develop an overarching and integrated communications and government affairs strategy to drive profitable business growth in NNA (maps to global Communications plan)
- Engage with functional business partners to support the business plan.
- Ensure that an effective external communication plan is implemented for the region.
- Influences internal decision makers on the implications of their decisions on the reputation of the organization
- Determine and implement marketing communications (MarCom) strategies for the Novelis North America value streams.
- Create an NNA trade association strategy that aligns membership with Novelis’ business goals.
- Identify government affairs issues impacting Novelis for maximum ROIC. Shape public policy by seeking and securing legislation beneficial to Novelis. Mitigate a
To be effective in the role, the Communications Director must demonstrate the following:
- Crisis and reputation management preplanning and execution
- Ensure that an effective internal communication plan is implemented for the region.
- Engage early in business decisions with senior leaders to provide counsel and develop insights regarding desired business outcomes as it relates to communications.
- Work with the regional leadership team under tight deadlines, often on sensitive confidential projects. Position requires ability to identify initiatives that add value to the business.
- Manage the CSR program for NNA including budget, development, execution and promotion of the company’s Novelis Neighbor philanthropic strategy for volunteerism and sponsorship activities.
- Support the strategic business plan for NNA by ensuring that there is a shared understanding among employees and external constituents of the company’s growth goals. A critical component of this role is to align the regional communications priorities and budget allocations with the global communications plan.
- Develop working relationships with all value stream leaders and functional leaders to ensure that local requirements are identified and integrated into a regional strategic plan.
- Target public policy outcomes aligned with our corporate strategy and work to influence legislation, regulation and policy debates to secure benefits and minimize risks to our business in NNA.
- Provide counsel to senior leadership on communications and government affairs issues and be responsive to request for counsel at any time.
- Build upon the Novelis reputation and brand recognition as an industry leader and good corporate citizen.
- Create proactive regional media and government affairs programs that will be effective given the business dynamics and our expansion goals
- Keep a finger on the pulse of general business issues and employee issues for the regional leadership team to address
- Guide the development of and budget allocation for, internal and external communications programs
- Ensure that direct reports effectively execute high quality programs that add value to the business
The successful candidate must be have a Bachelor’s degree in communications or journalism. An advanced degree is preferred but not required.
15+ years of experience in Communications and Government Affairs at a high-profile B2B or consumer facing company with commensurate or greater revenue.
Collaborative leader with superb people skills required to build and direct high-performing teams. Key attributes to succeeding in the role include: superior strategic communications skills, exceptional business acumen, and high standards for workplace integrity and accountability.
Must be able and willing to travel
US-Georgia-3560 Lenox Rd Suite 2000 Atlanta, Georgia 30326
Novelis - 11 months ago