We're looking for an entrepreneurial Director of Communications to set, guide and implement an organization-wide communications strategy that aligns with our strategic plan and brand strategy. Reporting to the VP of External Relations, the Director will be a thought partner to the executive leadership team on communications-related opportunities and challenges and will be able to develop and execute a long-term vision for the communications function. The Director will also be a team player able to direct and support the day-to-day communications needs of staff throughout the organization. He/she will steward the brand and be a key player in driving organizational culture change around communications.
Beyond strategy, she/he will effectively use various engagement tools, including print collateral and design, company website and social media, public relations, and emerging communications technologies. The Director will help the organization gain visibility by identifying media opportunities, leading the organization's executive visibility work and helping fellow staff members identify and prepare for speaking and engagement opportunities. Management skills will also be key as the Director will lead and mentor an internal team, work with staff across the organization and manage relationships with outside vendors and consultants.
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum five years communications and/or marketing experience, preferably in an education reform context. Masters degree desirable.
- Exceptional analytical, strategic, and tactical ability combined with expert relationship management skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent and persuasive interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong management and mentoring skills and experience coaching and supporting both senior leaders and program staff.
- Proven ability to create and implement an effective, broad reaching, multi-pronged communications plan that drives unified messages throughout diverse audiences and geographic regions to achieve organizational and programmatic goals.
- Experience in using new and emerging media communications tools to enhance and amplify an organization's core messages.
- A collegial and collaborative work style, innovative thinking, strong work ethic, and enthusiastic attitude and sense of humor are essential.
- Ability to both work independently and take direction from others, solve problems with limited supervision, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to translate and adapt complex information for professional and compelling presentation, in multiple formats, to a variety of audiences.
- Experience pitching and developing strong relationships with traditional and new media.
- Experience cultivating meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media, key policymakers, legislators, relevant constituents and donors.
- Experience providing creative communications support, editing support and strategy to multiple internal project teams simultaneously.
To apply, please provide the following information:
- A strong commitment to Education Pioneers' mission and core values of courage, optimism, collaboration, and action
- Independent, highly organized, and detail-oriented self-starter
- Energetic, hard-working, and enthusiastic team player
- Flexible, resourceful, and persistent change agent
- Creative, imaginative, and innovative problem solver
- Principled leader with high ethical standards
- Letter of interest, with compensation requirements
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- Writing sample portfolio including examples of electronic communication, newsletter or comparable piece, and academic writing
idealist.org - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard