We’re looking for an entrepreneurial Director of Communications to set, guide and implement an organization-wide communications strategy that aligns with our strategic plan and brand strategy. Reporting to the VP of External Relations, the Director will be a thought partner to the executive leadership team on communications-related opportunities and challenges and will be able to develop and execute a long-term vision for the communications function. The Director will also be a team player able to direct and support the day-to-day communications needs of staff throughout the organization. He/she will steward the brand and be a key player in driving organizational culture change around communications.
Beyond strategy, she/he will effectively use various engagement tools, including print collateral and design, company website and social media, public relations, and emerging communications technologies. The Director will help the organization gain visibility by identifying media opportunities, leading the organization’s executive visibility work and helping fellow staff members identify and prepare for speaking and engagement opportunities. Management skills will also be key as the Director will lead and mentor an internal team, work with staff across the organization and manage relationships with outside vendors and consultants.
* Develop a strategic comprehensive communications plan with metrics, utilizing both traditional and new media, to broaden programmatic visibility and reach, enhance development goals, help the organization meet its strategic priorities and deepen the impact of the organization.
* Work with staff to ensure powerful, consistent messaging and brand consistency across all communications channels, including the website, newsletters, campaign collateral, reports and social media.
* Actively cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage of Education Pioneer’s work including pitching reporters, writing op-eds and letters, gathering stories from constituents, organizing news conferences and media briefings.
* Guide the strategic and consistent use of media, events, and public relations opportunities for program and development staff including developing and maintaining relationships with key media allies and partners.
* Refine and ensure the use of Education Pioneer’s “core” messages for organizational consistency.
* Maintain media lists and system for tracking and reporting media placements and coverage.
* Develop campaign messages, talking points and supporting materials as needed to maintain the visibility of the Founder & CEO, Executive staff and Board members, including coaching senior leaders as spokespersons when needed.
* Develop marketing and dissemination strategies for Education Pioneers reports, social media outlets, major events and initiatives.
* Work proactively with internal constituencies (program staff and marketing and recruiting teams) to provide strategic guidance and communications / marketing support.
* Drive an internal conversation about the power and value of storytelling/data; capture and operationalize the creation of content to support it.
* Develop materials to support fundraising efforts, including case statements, direct mail appeals, fundraising campaigns, major donor packets, and donor recognition correspondence.
* Lead and mentor a talented marketing and communications team, including the Communications Manager, Marketing Manager and Marketing/Communications interns.
* Select and manage consultants and relationships with agencies and external vendors.
Experience and Qualifications
* Minimum five years communications and/or marketing experience, preferably in an education reform context. Masters degree desirable.
* Exceptional analytical, strategic, and tactical ability combined with expert relationship management skills and attention to detail.
* Excellent and persuasive interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
* Strong management and mentoring skills and experience coaching and supporting both senior leaders and program staff.
* Proven ability to create and implement an effective, broad reaching, multi-pronged communications plan that drives unified messages throughout diverse audiences and geographic regions to achieve organizational and programmatic goals.
* Experience in using new and emerging media communications tools to enhance and amplify an organization’s core messages.
* A collegial and collaborative work style, innovative thinking, strong work ethic, and enthusiastic attitude and sense of humor are essential.
* Ability to both work independently and take direction from others, solve problems with limited supervision, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines
* Demonstrated ability to translate and adapt complex information for professional and compelling presentation, in multiple formats, to a variety of audiences.
* Experience pitching and developing strong relationships with traditional and new media.
* Experience cultivating meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media, key policymakers, legislators, relevant constituents and donors.
* Experience providing creative communications support, editing support and strategy to multiple internal project teams simultaneously.
* A strong commitment to Education Pioneers’ mission and core values of courage, optimism, collaboration, and action
* Independent, highly organized, and detail-oriented self-starter
* Energetic, hard-working, and enthusiastic team player
* Flexible, resourceful, and persistent change agent
* Creative, imaginative, and innovative problem solver
* Principled leader with high ethical standards
To apply, please provide the following information:
- Letter of interest, with compensation requirements
- Current resume or curriculum vitae
- Writing sample portfolio including examples of electronic communication, newsletter or comparable piece, and academic writing
Please submit your materials to:
email@example.com . No phone calls, faxes, or in-person applications please.
Equal Opportunity Employment and Commitment to Diversity
Education Pioneers believes it is critical for leaders in urban education to reflect the urban communities they serve. We actively recruit people of color to join our team. We support equal opportunity for all people and we strongly encourage people of color to apply for positions in our organization.